gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » C.A.'s '87 Victoire
C.A.'s '87 Victoire 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Well, I hope to take her out for a test ride tomorrow. Some final tune-up to seat and stem-handlebar adjustments and will post more photos later. As I mentioned in an earlier post--a bit out of my familiarity with the early '70s Gitanes in working with this '87 model.

The "Fixey" version as purchased

Hanging around the last few weeks.

Almost ready to go. Lost my 6yr old Labrador girl earlier this past week from sudden acute renal failure ---Bummer Crying or Very sad
Anyhow, I jumped into the assembly of the '87 Victoire, as a diversion from thinking about the loss of my girl ---thus the assigned gender mentioned earlier in the post. I'll be thinking about Kate and the good times we shared, tomorrow while cruising in the sunshine on the refurbished Victoire. Smile

I Like Steel----and Black Labs
Campy Triomphe Gruppo 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
verktyg
C. A.

Sorry to hear about your lab. They are great dogs.

The bike looks great with the Campy Triomphe gruppo.

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
Gtane
C.A.

You did very well to secure a complete Triomphe groupset. Lovely machine. It looks to be in super condition.

Sorry to learn of your Labrador.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Thanks Chas & Tim:

When I purchased the '87 Victoire---it was kind of a whim, but with the hope of refurbishing, to keep it from a more permanent "fixey" transformation. I thought I would be able to utilize-clean-up the original components that the owner sent with the bike, but most items were beyond refurbishment. So about a year ago I started watching Ebay for components and I found some of the original items; but---later decided--- what the heck, it's not going to be original so I've put together a potpourri of components. So some of the '87 Campy components are Victory & some Triomphe.

Original frame with it's beat up adhesive down tube sticker--but generally no dents and pretty nice original finish with minimal rust spots. The original forks, headset, and stem & handlebars, and seatpost cleaned up nicely.

The wheelsets were built up from Campy Victory Hubs, and Mavic GP-4 tubular rims, Currently still waiting for the correct Park regina freewheel tool before I install the Regina 13-20 6speed , but temporarily mounted the Suntour 14-28, (early rides with the fixed "B" point Campy rear derailleur have been impressive in it's ability to handle the 28 tooth)

I could not find the Gray Campy brake hoods up to this point to go with the Victory brake set. I substituted Bike Nashbar adjustable brake pads to replace the original Grey Victory pads as they were pretty worn ( the Bike Nashbar pads have a nice adjustable "toe-in" feature).

The Victory or Triomphe derailleurs (my guess is the rear was Triomphe--because of the black chain idlers vs grey) and Triomphe bottom bracket & Crankset (Victory had a unique "self-extracting" crank bolt --cover screw assy) and Victory shift levers.

Temporarily using some Maillard pedals while cleaning up a set of Victory pedals. (the Campy Victory pedals DON'T have yellow safty reflectors--but I like the additional touch of yellow to the Blue & Yellow theme) Cool

Really didn't give her much of a work out Saturday--until the sew-up adhesive has a little more time--- I know I'm going to have to find a hadlebar stem with a longer insertion length to gain some additional height in bar position. Awsome brake stopping power with the substituted brake pads, and smooth shifting as mentioned earlier.

Now if only Greg S. had the correct down tube replacement for the damaged Rolling Eyes

THE END Wink

I Like Steel !!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Sorry for the "Noisy" images folks. I didn't realize my spouse had set apperature priority on the point & shoot. These aren't the sharpest resolution. But you get an idea of the project to date. When I get the stem and pedals clean-up I'll try to put up a couple "sharper" images at a future date.

C.A.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Gtane
C.A,

Thanks for posting further shots. No probs. about the noise, the detail of the machine is all there.

It's a very striking bike and I'm sure a lovely ride too.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery