gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New pics
New pics 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
For those who are interested, here are some pics of a few of my bikes.

The blue/yellow bike is my original 1985/6 Victoire. See old pic first. It's been repainted and kitted out like a teenager would mimic their hero. This is what I wanted to do to this bike at the time.

I'm just waiting on decals for that one.
Next is what I actually did to my Victoire as a teenager. That is, replaced the groupset with Campy Chorus/Athena. (With simplex shifters, of course)

This is my "ride to work" bike. A 1985/6 Defi. The internal brake cable inserts were so badly rusted that I just filed the off for the time being. This frame will get some repairs and a new coat of paint - when I get around to it. It's a collection of bits & pieces, but it has the two essential items that make it my bike: a turbomatic saddle and cinelli criterium bars.
Note the early 80's shimano front derailleur that works flawlessly with 9 speed STI shifter and suntour cyclone cranks!!!

Last, but not least is the Racing Team - a work in progress. Building up with campy NR. Do you all like that 54 campy chainring? If only I had the legs to spin that!!! Even the battered old saddle came up OK with some 'dubbin' rubbed into it.

Cheers everyone!

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
mash
hey my cousin has recently found a victoire on a rubish throw out day and its in extreemly good condition, is there anything you could tell us about the bike? it looks exactily like your 4th pic down (but not quite as nice as yours).
thanks
victoire 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hi Mash

Hey, the victoire is my favourite topic Wink .

They were made in 1985 and 1986 (although the were still on sale here in Australia in '87). Out of the 7 models on offer, the Victoire was no. 5. So they're not a pure bred race bike by any means. The frame was made from a basic grade chrome-moly. So, not as heavy as a basic 10-speed steel bike - but not far off it either. The derailleurs were Sachs-Huret. Weinmann brakes. Malliard hubs(I think) with good ol' faithful Mavic Module 'E' rims. 6 speed cluster. The worst aspect was the 'Atax' plastic seat post. It had a steel insert for strength, but the clamp section tended to brake on quite a few. If you still have that one, better replace it. Size is 25.8mm. The best thing about this era was the styling. You just can't beat that 80's feel with the yellow saddle and bar tape, and the 'dotty' yellow decals. If you intend to ride this bike seriously, keep an eye on the front and rear tips. They all cracked on mine and I had a frame builder replace the rear tips and I simply replaced the front fork with a better quality cro-mo fork. If you check out the catalogues page on this site you can see the full spec sheet. Also check out previous posts from "gumby gitane' - he has the 'performance' model as has posted some pics too. The light blue bike in my post that you refered to (without any decals) is actually my original victoire repainted. The one in (more or less) original condition is one I picked up on ebay a little while ago. Both are too small for me to ride these days, but I keep them for the sentimental value. If you, or your cousin keep the bike, make sure you post some pics for us. Cheers.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
mash
ok i cant quite figure out how to post pics so ill give the link to my windows live space http://adamgreene1983.spaces.live.com/photos/
all the pics are there.

thanks for the info
victoire 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Looks like the drive train has had an upgrade to the Shimano indexed stuff. Cranks look like the originals though. Saddle has been replaced with something more modern, but still in keeping with the yellow theme. Very cool.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel
New pics 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane