gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Pre 1973 TdF Goto page 1, 2  Next
Pre 1973 TdF 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
Like many people here, I like French bikes. I can't quite explain it, but I pretty much like all of them, but I had one rule: Only buy complete bikes! Otherwise, I'd be overturning every stone looking for headsets, bottom brackets, pedals, etc. Well, I violated my one rule. You'd think I'd be able to follow one rule. Apparently not.

So, here it is. A Club Green TdF. It needs new paint. I'm thinking of a color change to Criterium Violet. Feel free to provide thoughts, advice.

Anyway, I thought everyone should share my pain sourcing parts, so I'll post my build progress with pictures.

Last edited by PBR Streetgang on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
scozim
I really like that color and don't see alot wrong with it in the pic you posted. You'll find many of us will tell you not to paint the frame - you lose the originality/individuality of the bike. I also thought I would repaint one of my Gitane's but have changed my mind. In fact, I have another early 70's French bike (the make will not be mentioned so I can avoid censure Very Happy ) that has paint much worse than yours, and I'm going to leave it alone as well. From what I can determine the bike wasn't sold here in the states originally and has a unique light green/champagne color. Leaving the paint alone mean the bike still "has a lot of stories to tell".

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting the picture....

Parts shouldn't be too much of a pain, as they are usually readily available on Ebay and through certain parts dealers.

Regarding the finish, I understand your concern. Usually, they look better in pictures (i.e. you don't see all of the problems until you look really close). However, I would advise against a repaint. The stickers can be replaced easily (a vendor on ebay has them for about $40). A repaint really changes the "feel" of the bike, though. I am not sure you will be happy about it after it is done. But it is your bike, and I personally prefer that it is used and appreciated as opposed to discarded and hacked apart!

Either way, we support any francophile here!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
Thanks for the comments, Scott and Stephan. I'm all for originality, especially with a complete bike. Once you do something irreversible, you can't go back. However, Stephan, you hit the nail on the head: Paint can look clean in a photo, but not be satisfactory in person. That's the case here. Almost every area under a clamp on part had some rust, as well as the usual rusty chips. Plus, because I just had a frame and fork, this thing will never be truly original, so I feel I have a freer hand in the build It will still be period, of course, but I might deviate from the original spec a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
"PBR"...stands for Pabst Blue Ribbon? Have I seen your screenname somewhere before???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
It doesn't, actually. But, it would fit in with the whole fixie movement, wouldn't it?. Not that I'm above a little Pabst, of course. I'll add an avatar to give you a clue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
I picked up a Stronglight P3 NOS. I had to get it from France and it wasn't cheap, but it is new. That's something I wouldn't enjoy if I bought a complete bike.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
geekrunner
Hi PBR! I have an eraly '70s Gitane TdF, and the paint is probably worse than yours! I'm going to leave it alone, if for no other reason to make the frame stand out against the bits and pieces I put on it. I have a pic of it in the Serial Number thread, but just the frame is there. I already have it built up somewhat. When I got the frame, all it had was the frame, fork, BB, and seatpost. I already had a wheelset with Weinmann rims and Campy Nuovo Tipo hubs, then I was able to find Pivo drop bar and stem, Stronglight crank, Mafac levers, and a headset on eBay. I got the Mafac Racer brakes from a poster over at bikeforums.net. It will be my SS bike, all "tarcked out" with blue tires and blue bar wrap. Good luck with your build!

geek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
Thanks, Geekrunner. You should post yours in the Gallery. I just installed the headset and had the frame refinished in candy purple. Decals are on their way from Australia. I have a Stronglight spindle, but BB cups are proving to be a problem. Patience, patience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
PBR,
My kinda color!!! Looks GREAT!!! Can't wait to see it with decals.

Jay...purple with envy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
Thanks, greyhundguy. I picked up some Stronglight 93s. So things are shaping up. Still need those thin walled BB cups (at a reasonable price). I'm sure they'll come up on ebay.

TA Bottom Bracket 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Here's a TA French BB complete with spindle and bolts (you'll have an extra spindle if you ever need it. It will work perfect with your Stronglight cranks. I used to use this combination for replacement jobs at our shop. TA cups and spindles are better quality than Stronglight.

Hurry, the auction is ending in 3 hours:

http://tinyurl.com/azbjq4

BTW, I have no involvement in any auctions at this time.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
Thanks, but I just missed it. I definitely would've paid $25 for that!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
Finally! NOS TA Cups.

I bought them from a shop in England. Not cheap, but NOS, so they will last a long time.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
Things are starting to take shape. I picked up a Pivo stem and bars. The bolts were in terrible shape so I polished them and sent them to a chrome plater. I polished the stem, too, but the casting is such poor quality that there is just so much you can do.

Pre 1973 TdF 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery