gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » 70's era Gitane Grand Sport Deluxe
70's era Gitane Grand Sport Deluxe 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Mackroe
Hello out there. I'm new to this forum, but found it while searching for ideas and parts for my 70's era Gitane Grand Sport Deluxe. It came with a Prestige-Simplex shifter in need of some repairs, so I thought I'd be the newbie asking dumb questions. Anyway, I'm going to post some shots I took tonight of my ride, I plan to fix it up and take it out on the screet. I live in the N.C. mountains currently and there are some very serious biking roads just down from here. Btw, the part of the derailluer that has the little wheels or sprockets on it has busted wheels. Can those parts be bought for this Simplex in the right size. I went to a bike shop here and they said all I could do was mount a new one, abought a cheapo shifter and a new cable to replace a busted one. I've mounted it but don't want to finalize the installation until I get the skinny on the Prestige-Simplex.

I bought this vintage machine, this fine ride, for $75 (paid half down and half later) in the early seventies, from Herb Burns over there in Charlotte. He was ready to whip my tail when I was a "little slow" in paying the latter half of the change, I bet it hadn't been six months yet, But Herb had a bad knee or bad leg, I can't remember, and just couldn't catch me on the Gitane when I tore through the gears. I finally did pay him though. We're still friends. I think I had to buy him a couple of lunches to smooth it all over. Anyway, here are my shots, thanks for any info or comments, and Herb, if you're out there, just remember, its the thought that counts, not materialism, not filthy luchre, the free things are life's joys, ect...Later, your buddy, Steve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Welcome to the forum Steve and thanks for posting your bike.

It looks like you have purchased at a great price. Please do post any further shots as it seems that only the one picture has been posted.

Thanks, and thanks too for your great riding story. Great times.

The small wheels on the rear changer are 'jockey wheels'. I'd recommend searching for an identical changer on Ebay, for the parts or as a complete item if better than the original, to perhaps inspire some youth in to the old component and replace it with the cheapo changer.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
cooltech
Like the bike Mack. Give us a full shot if possible.
cooltech Cool

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery