gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » 1985 Tour de France
1985 Tour de France 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
scozim
I picked up the "new" bike this morning in Seattle from the original owner. Pretty much everything except the tires and shifters are original - even with a Bernard Hinault saddle. I'll start looking for new derailleurs for the future. It's even got the first year (that's what the owner said) white Look clipless pedals that came with the bike. The owner couldn't find the original brochure he had with the bike but he did give me a Cycles Gitane jersey (too small for me but it will look good on the wall).

The owner stated he was very happy to have someone buy the bike that wanted it original. He bought it new in 1985 and rode it for a year and then moved to a Colnago and has been dragging the Gitane around with him for 20 yrs.

The only disappointing part is the paint - it's had quite a few chips which the owner told me he had touched up poorly - and that's true. The good part is a frame can always be repainted.

I took it for a spin in a parking lot and really like the ride. The rear derailleur skipped one cog and then slipped back onto it so I have a few adjustments to make on it.

I think I'm going to really like this bike and will start riding it next spring when it warms back up. It's got a 12-21 right now but I've got a Regina Superleggera 13-26 6spd freewheel that I'm tempted to put on it so I can deal with the wind - but, we'll wait and see how the rides go in the spring. By the way, anyone see a freewheel like this with the red spacers?

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Awesome bike. I remember those jerseys available in the catalogues as well.

And for the record, I disagree with you about the frame being painted. Of course you CAN do it, but then it will never be the same!!!

My theory is that all PARTS can be replaced...but the frameset is unique!

And yes, those are the first generation look pedals. Luckily, you can still get the cleats for those (I think)!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Scozim, that's a great bike and what a super buy.

I would not respray it because the bike's condition is actually great. Just touch up the spots that you're concerned about and hang on to any bits you replace as they're part of the machine.

The machine looks wonderful in the first shot against the plinth.

Thanks for posting.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Looks really great!

I agree with everyone else, leave the paint alone. Any bike that gets used gets scratches and paint chips. I think of them as "battle scars". Laughing

Unless of course you are looking for a concourse de elegance or a wall hanger. If you can't see them from 5 feet.... Wink

BTW, those "sick room green" Bianchi Celeste tires have to go... Rolling Eyes

(Celeste is the color green that Bianchi has used for years) Twisted Evil

Chas.
Re: Paint 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
scozim
verktyg wrote:

BTW, those "sick room green" Bianchi Celeste tires have to go... Rolling Eyes

(Celeste is the color green that Bianchi has used for years) Twisted Evil

Chas.

I agree on the tires. I love Celeste - on my Bianchi. But, these tires are on the original Aspin wheels. I'll run them for awhile and then probably switch to the Campy clincher wheelset my dad is going to give me. I don't think I can afford the tubulars right now. So, many choices.

I've been having a lot of dreams about this bike at night and wishing winter wasn't right around the corner so I could enjoy it more now.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Celeste 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Are those sewups? They would look good on my Bianchi too. Cool

I have a new set of these Panaracer "Practice Dual" tubulars to put on one of my blue Gitanes with yellow trim. Wink

Chas.
Hey Chas, since we're on the subject of sew-ups 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Just curious if any other members have thoughts about (as time & miles pass by---typically about 600-800mi sometimes less) separation begins to happen on my sew-ups, between the casing body sidewall of the tire---and the cotton tape covering the seam of the sew-up threads.

Initially I would assume the manufacturer has placed some type of latex adhesive to glue the tape over the casing threads, and seal the cotton strip to the sidewall of the sew-up casing.

I would assume that my mounting technique is OK, as the cotton tape and bond to the rims is always good. I've always run about 105-110 psi in these "Rally" tubulars. Just a lateral pulling-torquing effect of turns under speed on the casing body that eventually leads to the casing beginning to pull away from the tape, and eventually this gap getting wider and wider.

Is there a latex sidewall treatment that could be used to keep the sidewall - tape interface fresh???
Is it just that I ride moderate priced sew-ups "Vittoria -Rally tubular road tires" and have for decades?????
I've never tried an expensive "hand made" higher quality sew-up---so I don't know if I would experience the same separation issue with time & miles.

Again thanks for the tip earlier this season about the "Tufo--extreme" sealant. I've experienced 3 punctures on the 70 TdeF this season so far and the Tufo has worked well each time and I continue to ride on the sew-ups mounted in March (now at about 1300-1500 miles on that frame for this season). Would have been more if the Back problem hadn't flared up for the month of July & August Mad

I Like Steel !!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
verktyg
C.A.

Jevolot Tire Life liquid latex compound is what you are looking for.

You can find it online for ~ $10-12 USD.

This is them same liquid latex that tubular tire makers use when they manufacture their tires. It's also what's used to hold the rim tape onto the tire casing. I use cheap throw away brushes to apply it.

On a lot of my sewups I've had a little separation of the tape from the casing on the exposed portion of the tire not in contact with the rim especially after they'd been mounted and used for a year or so.

Italian made Clement Paris-Roubaix cotton tires were my favorites followed by Clement Campionato del Mundo Setas and Clement Paris-Roubaix Setas (silks). I used to get 5,000-7,000 miles on these tires.

I think that Clement used more latex on their tires especially versus D'Allessandro and Vitoria (which may have been the same Italian company), thus less separation. Also smaller diameter, highly inflated tubulars are more like to have the tape pull away from the casing where it's not in contact with the rim. Larger diameter tires have more contact with the rim.

Here's a picture of a circa 1972 Clement 50 cotton sewup that I used as a training tire back when I was a "starving student". Someone gave it to me for a spare when I first started riding sewups. It was flat and already had about 2000 miles on it. I patched it and used it for commutes and bad weather training for 2-3 years afterward. Cool

Clement 50s were mid range cotton tubulars. Notice the "snakebite" patches on the casing - there's at least 6 of them to cover up nicks in the sidewall threads. This tire still holds air after all these years plus 4-5 patches to the tube (I would never chance riding it though). The rim tape is still sticking to the casing too! Shocked

Last year I got a great deal on a bunch of sewup wheels. Most of them still had tires attached. When I removed the tires I was surprised to see how easily the tires separated from the rim tape which still stuck to the rims. A number of these tires were new or had very low mileage and still looked ridable but the latex holding on the rim tape was all dried out. Shocked

It looks like newer tubular tires use less latex to attach the rim tape plus the tape is made from thiner material that the latex doesn't soak into very well. Recently I threw out a bunch of 30+ year old sewups that the tubes had given up the ghost. The tread and casings on these tires still looked usable and the rim tape was still firmly attached.

I lived in New Mexico back in the day. It was prime goathead country. We rode sewups most of the time and got very few flats. Part of the reason was that we only pumped our tires up to 85-95 PSI.

Goathead thorns in a car tire

There have been some tests done to show that goatheads and other sharp objects are more likely to puncture a bicycle tire that is inflated over 95 PSI.

The reduction in rolling resistance between 80 PSI and 110 PSI is only about 7%. Shocked

Why harder tires feel faster - from an article in Bicycle Quarterly magazine:

"On a road, a moving bike transmits a high frequency buzz to the hands, feet and seat of the rider. The faster the rider goes, the higher the frequency becomes. Therefore most riders are accustomed to equating a higher frequency with faster speed."

"... Increasing tire pressure also increases the frequency of the vibrations thus giving the sensation of greater speed, even though the bike rolls no faster than before."

BTW, my first experiment with Tufo is still working! I bought a bike off of eBay last fall. Both of the tubulars were flat. One held air for a few minutes the other wouldn't hold air at all. I put the recommended amount of Tufo in the tires and they're still holding air after almost a year! Cool

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I don't believe your story/theory about less flats on under/lower inflated tires. I have found that I get flats when:
(1) My tires start to get worn out; and
(2) They are underinflated.

That's just me though...no data to support the claim(s).

Thanks for the feedback 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Thanks Chas, Stephan, for your thoughts.

Cold --Rainy afternoon here in the plains of Ks---so I'll do some searching for the Latex treatment.

Oh, and by the way Scozim, nice vintage ride---I would have to support the idea of trying to preserve the original patina---conservative touch up of any scratch - rust areas. I'm envious, I really wanted to throw some $$$ towards that auction. Looks like you've got a great ride.

Thanks fellows and any other forum members for their feedback related to tubular care.

C.A.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
I don't believe your story/theory about less flats on under/lower inflated tires. I have found that I get flats when:
(1) My tires start to get worn out; and
(2) They are underinflated.

That's just me though...no data to support the claim(s).

Them's awful harsh words counselor....

First off, most of my experience was back in the day when there were very few tires rated for over 100 PSI.

Secondly there were 10-15 people in our riding group. We all rode sewups most of the time. We all kept our tire pressure under 95 PSI and we all suffered less flats than other riders in the same races or on the same rides who had their tires pumped up to over 95 PSI.

This anecdotal information was garnered over at least a 5 year period of riding in areas throughout the Southwest that had high amounts of goatheads and glass on the roads. That's why we ran at lower tire pressures.

The info on reduction in rolling resistance can be found in several engineering books about bicycles (take my word for it counselor).

Third (more anecdotal stuff), my riding buddy rode for over 2 years on the Bontrager (probably Race Lite HD) tires that came OEM on his LeMond bike. He probably had 7,000 to 10,000 miles on those tires at 120 PSI. He occasionally got flats when no one else we were riding with did. Finally the tire casing under the tread on his rear tire blew out after a hard skid.

He's been riding very aggressively for the past 6 months, 150 -170+ miles a week. A local bike shop sold him a set of Vredestein Fortezza TriComp full blown racing tires rated at 145 PSI. He started getting 2-3 flats every ride! He switched to some tougher Michelin tires, now he only gets about 1 flat a week.

On the same rides together, I don't get flats. I'm running Panaracer Pasela TGs, Continental Gran Prixs or sewups all at 95 PSI or less.

Granted, many smaller diameter (19-23mm) high performance clincher tires need to be inflated to over 100 PSI to prevent pinch flats. Also, the highest performance clincher tires tend to be more susceptible to punctures but... compared to tubulars they should be about the same as far a puncture resistance goes. These 2 things could account for your flats at lower pressures.

I was more addressing C.A. comments about flats with sewups - tubulars which rarely ever suffer from pinch flats.

Corroborating evidence:

On a more scientific note Carl Fogel is a frequent contributor to the Usenet group rec.bicycles.tec

Carl built a rig to study how punctures occur in bike tires. He lives in Pueblo, CO another goathead capital plus he runs across flint chips that are used in the asphalt road paving material in his area.

Carl discovered when he ran tires over goatheads, nails and flint chips on his test rig, that at pressures below 95 PSI the objects would puncture the tread but were less likely to puncture the casing and tube than at higher pressures. He documented this with pictures showing the results.

Here's a link written by Carl before he did his tests:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.bicycles.tech/2005-08/msg02905.html

BTW, another frequent contributor Jobst Brandt disagrees with EVERYTHING that Carl writes. I've met Jobst a number of times and he's brilliant but beyond hard headed so be cautious of his rebuttals of Carl.

So in closing, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you have take my word for it.... Because I'm always right and I never lie! Laughing

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Compelling argument. However, it is moot...as I am the "moderator" of this list, and can merely purge any dissenting view from cyberspace!

Wink

Too much fun 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Guys you've made my day !!!!

"Jocularity---Jocularity"

And that's why I love this place Wink

From the cold rainy plains of Kansas this evening---Off to Scouts now.
Thanks fellows for putting on smile on my face this evening.

C.A.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
Compelling argument. However, it is moot...as I am the "moderator" of this list, and can merely purge any dissenting view from cyberspace! Wink

DICTATEUR! Razz

Chas.
1985 Tour de France 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery