gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » TRADE: 5 TdF's for Ideale 57
TRADE: 5 TdF's for Ideale 57 
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
OMG!!! $1010. for an Ideale #57 on eBay!!! You guys told me the Japanese were paying high prices. I had no idea it was this crazy. Is it going next to the Warhol?

Jay
Virginia

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
verktyg
The sad thing about most of the vintage bike stuff that goes to Japan is that it will never see the light of day again. These things will end up in display cases on some Japanese collectors "wank alter".

Many Japanese collectors are playing what seems like a game of internet French bike components bingo. They have pictures of all of their collections with the missing items in "under construction" boxes.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/passhunter/hunter/huret/huret.htm

Recently I lost an eBay auction for a mint condition 57cm ~1977-78 Colnago Super all Campy bike. It was identical in just about every way to one that I had stolen in 1981. I'd been looking for one of these for over 25 years. A bike that size in Japan will probably end up as a wall hanging! Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

The Japanese did the same thing with Leica cameras.

Chas. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
Gtane
One really has to want an item to pay that sort of money. It goes beyond actual value and enters want value, something completely different. An at all costs value, almost into the priceless category for that particular item. Of course, it's great for the seller and if they bought low too.

I agree with you Jay, it's exactly the same as happens in the art world but the odd thing is that very, very few bike parts are actually unique (unlike virtually all original works of art) perhaps unique in their condition only. Does it mean to say that if one had the same saddle but in slightly less good condition one would make $800 or so? I'd say probably yes.

There was a 1951 Gran Sport rear derallieur that went for over $6k last year, on Ebay. Quite astonishing. I realise that it's a rare item, but $6k rare is something else. Perhaps the buyer knows that it will be worth double to someone in a couple of years.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Agreed Tim!

I've learned over the years that items like the Ideale Saddles were produced in the 10's-100's of thousands if not millions. I recently purchased a brand spankin' NOS Ideale (not a #57) on eBay for $42. It came from France and I suspect I got the good deal, on the Ideale, because the listing was mispelled "Deale". Only 2 Bids on it.

I've noticed many #90's coming up on eBay recently.

I expect we will see more #57's turn up with the expectation of getting a high price, which will most likely not happen.

Jay
Virginia

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
The "Deale" now sits on top my '72-'73 TdF, replacing the original Nylon saddle that came with it.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
I've learned over the years that items like the Ideale Saddles were produced in the 10's-100's of thousands if not millions.

Good point Jay, Ideale produced millions of saddles from 1890 until 1980:

http://www.ebykr.com/?p=68

Here's a link to info on the Ideale model 57 saddles which were made from the 1930s up through the 1960s:

http://velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=33035AE9-629D-4CFE-A83D-899D84A98ACB&Enum=106&AbsPos=12

Additional info on other Ideale saddles on VeloBase.com (a great resource for info on vintage bike components.):

http://velobase.com/ListComponents.aspx?SearchGUID=5ebb1a82-eac9-46eb-935b-55b65b039726

In a message above I maligned "passhunter" as one of the Bike Part Bingo Collectors. He collects components but actually rides his vintage bikes. Here's a better example of the "Bingo" collectors that I was talking about:

http://members.aol.com/satorumas/brands/ideale.html

Jay, I recently lucked out on an NOS Ideale saddle on eBay myself, a model 88. The few of these model 88s that have shown up on eBay have been selling used for $300+ USD and over $500 USD NOS. A Belgian seller had a bunch of them and the Japanese collectors were going wild. I lucked out and got my Ideale 88 for ~$125 plus no shipping costs because I did a local pickup. Cool

The Ideale 88 has a similar shape as a Brooks Pro, even has the same style large copper rivets. The Ideale 80, 90 and 92 models have a different shape than Brooks Pros. The Ideale model 80 saddles never seem to soften up and in my experience the model 90s and 92 s get too soft and lose their shape prematurely. That's why I prefer Boooks Pros over Ideale saddles. The other thing is the black dye on the model 90s and 92s never stops smearing off on your shorts. Confused

Years ago I came by one of the aluminum frame Ideale 90IR saddles. The leather on it was totally trashed. I had a Brooks Pro with broken seat rails. I removed the leather part of the Ideale from the aluminum frame, cut off the rails on the Brooks Pro, threaded the stub ends of the rails and ended up with an alloy framed Brooks Pro. Very Happy

That Deale 57 must feel great compared to the Torquemada "ass hatchet" model plastic saddle that came on the Gitanes. Twisted Evil

Chas.
TRADE: 5 TdF's for Ideale 57 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane