gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Verktyg's 1984 Tour de France (Chas.)
Verktyg's 1984 Tour de France (Chas.) 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I bought this 55cm 1984 Tour de France off of eBay a few months ago. The bike appears to have far less than 100 miles on it.

Several of the decals are damaged or missing and there's some chips in the paint. I have a set of repro decals which actually look better than the originals and I found some paint that's a close match. So when I get around to it....

This model was originally equipped with Ofmega Mistral cranks, Ofmega hubs and black plastic Ofmega derailleurs.

Not only did I luck out and get a great deal on the bike but someone upgraded it with NOS Campy Nuovo derailleurs plus the wheels are NOS with Mavic 500 hubs and Mavic SUP rims.

The bike came with the original plastic Ofmega shift levers. While I was going over the bike lubing and adjusting everything, the shift levers felt too stiff. When I took one of them off the spring washer was broken and fell out in pieces.

I replaced the levers with a set of black anodized Simplex Retrofriction levers. I also swapped the rear derailleur for a NOS Ofmega Master RD. The bars were a little too narrow and the stem a little to long so I replaced them too. The brake lever hoods where dry rotted. I put on some NOS Modolo hoods. The freewheel is now a Sachs Aris 13-28 7sp Narrow with a new SRAM 8 speeed chain. Everything else is original.

I haven't ridden it very much so far because of the weather. I'm not sure how I'm going to like the Bernard Hinault Turbo saddle, I usually ride Brooks Pros. Since the frame is identical to my 1984 Super Corsa except for the color, it should ride about the same.

Serial number is C156818 / 2259 / 7

eBay photos

Plastic Ofmega shift levers

After changes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Lovely bike Chas and I really like the Ofmega chainset which is such a stylish design. There's also something really special about fork transfers whether of the bike brand or tubing. They just look so great.

The Brooks Pros are unbeatable once formed, as you'll know. I have tried a Turbo and found myself to be out of the saddle quite a bit. In fact, this was the only ride I ever did on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Gtane,

After a few rides I got somewhat used to the Turbo saddle but it's too round top for me. I installed a WTB Pure V saddle several weeks ago and it makes a world of difference.

The Pure V saddles are almost better than a Brooks Pro for my needs. They look a little "geeky" but they ride great!

http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
cooltech
Really nice bike! tks. for posting
cooltech Cool

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery