gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » Bar Plugs...custom for your Gitane1 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Bar Plugs...custom for your Gitane1 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I have a set of these on my new Gitane...and you should too. Pretty cool little touch:

http://www.barplugs4u.com/catalog/item/1027689/1663741.htm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
lofter
yeah if they had the bubble *G*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Like I said: I put them on my "new" Gitane. That is why I posted this in the "Modern Gitane" section of the forum!

By the way, Lofter: My 1987 looks GREAT with a Sedis Silver chain installed! You jealous? If not...you should be.
Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote
lofter
not jealous , just happy for ya Cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Oh...aren't you the "nice person"! Evil or Very Mad Speaking of which, I am sersiously considering getting that Gitane on Ebay right now. It appears to be a 1984...but I cannot tell for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
lofter
i posted a few questions to the seller that should help find out. so maybe this nice person could run the price up on ya ? ya think? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
lofter
looks like one to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
If you really want it, it is yours...it appears to be too big for me anyhow, depending on the measurement. I asked if it is 56 ctc or ctt, but he hasn't responded. I think this is a "selling mill" and they aren't too responsive to requests for more information. It looks, from the pictures, to be a 56 ctc, but I don't really know. I ride a 54.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
lofter
not me dude im tapped out right now , just buying up parts to finish all my bikes that i have.bought a tubular spinergy rev x with a threaded freewheel last week for 112.00. i was shocked to see it go so low . its going on the carbone vitus i have . maybe since xmas is coming peeps r laying off , crosses fingers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
I asked if it is 56 ctc or ctt, but he hasn't responded. I think this is a "selling mill" and they aren't too responsive to requests for more information.

Steve,

I've been watching the bike too. Judging from the catalogs, 1984 was the only year that the Replica/Team Pro/Professional models had painted forks. The 1984 model used Columbus SL tubing.

The seller says that it has a Vitus aluminum frame. A lot of inexperienced sellers confuse Super Vitus or Vitus 172 tubing with the Vitus aluminum frames. Did any of the real Gitane Team bikes use Super Vitus tubing?

It appears to be a nice frame with a hodgepodge of components thrown on. The Suntour VX rear derailleur doesn't match the Suntour Superbe brakes or front derailleur.

The pickup address is Desert Funding in Phoenix and from looking at the other items they're selling, my guess is that it's a pawn shop.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:03 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The Vitus tubing bikes were never finished with that paint...and I think they used different lugs, right? I am wondering if the guy was told it was vitus aluminum because of the weight. Also, maybe the dropouts say Vitus? But if it is truly a 1984, the dropouts should be simplex, right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
lofter
thats right.all mine do anyhow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Chas...notice you have bid on that bike. You better win that auction. I want everyone who participates in the forum to have a Team Pro or a Replica.... I think that is a 1984 Team Pro frame, so don't let it go! Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I read somewhere that Gitane switched from using Simplex dropouts to Vitus dropouts because they were have breakage problems.

On the other hand the switch to Vitus could have taken place because of the demise of Simplex around that time... or maybe Vitus offered them a package deal on dropouts, fork crowns and tubing.

Could this bike have Columbus tubing and Vitus dropouts? I enlarged the photos but couldn't see any tubing stickers only the blue white and red sticker on the down tube above the shift levers with the word "ON".

Another thing, in the photo of the head tube area, this bike appears to have an aero fork crown rather than the full sloping crowns that I've seen on other high end Gitanes from this era. It could just be the angle of the picture.

A few more photos would have helped ID this bike. At least they show the drive side. I get irked when a seller posts only pictures of the left side of a bike.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The information regarding the snapped Simplex dropouts came from CR List member Jack Bissell, who was involved with a bike shop and/or racing team around Phoenix in the early 1980's. He said the team was outfitted with the Gitane's, and just about every frame snapped in the same place: Drive side dropout at the chain stay. Could have been a bad batch...or something else (maybe it was a team of over 200 pounders???)...who knows. Just relaying information....

I have seen that sticker on the down tube before, but just can't remember where.

Bar Plugs...custom for your Gitane1 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane