gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Hello! and Question
Hello! and Question 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Hi
My name's Jim and I live in Southern California. I am an aged, overfed broken down wreck of a bicycle enthusiast but I trained and raced in the 70's and 80's and still ride weekly. Back in the day myself and my two friends were three amigos with French bikes. I had a Peugeot PR-10, my friends had a Gitane Olympic Champion de Monde and a LeJune. Since then I have put most of my miles on my Eisentraut Ltd road bike and used my Colnago Super for racing. I currently have my Eisentraut, a modern Masi, and my Trek mountain bike.

Which brings me to why I'm here. I currently have the opportunity to buy an early 70's Gitane TdF (Simplex dropouts and remnants of Reynolds sticker on seat tube, its components match the descriptions found here). It's mostly original except replacement saddle (cheap), rims (original Normandy hubs), and front derailleur.

Based on what I have learned here I would like to replace the bars and stem. Can I re-size a replacement stem to fit the steering tube or should I find a French replacement - where? And the seat post, too - I would like to replace the steel tube post and saddle. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

sizes 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hi Jim and welcome.

Sounds like you're goimg to have some fun restoring this old girl. When you refer to "re-sizing" the stem, do you mean the handle bar clamp or the pillar that inserts into the steerer tube? The pillar should be the same diameter as other stems anyway, so a new 1" stem should fit your frame anyway. The odd diameters with bars and stems are the handlebar clamps. Most of the older french stuff is 25.8mm, while the modern standard is 26.0mm. Older Cinelli is 26.4mm, but they changed to the standard 26.0 in the 90's. {The newest 'oversize' bars are 31.8mm} All you need to worry about is that they match. The best looking for a restoration is some old cinelli's, but if you can't get them at a price that suits, you could go for modern Nitto stuff. Other guys here will hate me for that, but it's good quality, good price, and brand new - so it will give you years of safe and reliable service. (It also has the classic style)

As for the seat post, the best bet is to measure the original with a set of vernier calipers (unless it has the size stamped on it) Again, all you need to do is match it. There are plenty of modern posts in a range of sizes.

Cheers,
Wisey

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Thanks Wisey

I have a 3TTT bar to use so probably 26.0 mm. Then I guess I'll use sandpaper to fit the stem to the steering tube if needed. I hope to have the bike by the end of the week so I can measure the seat post. I hope I can get it out!

Jim

whoa!!!! 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
I'm really concerned about using sandpaper.........
Are you trying to shim the stem? That's probably not a great idea on a critical part like your stem. I honestly thought that the steerer tube in your bike would be a standard 1". If the stem doesn't fit correctly, don't use it. It can't be worth your life or health.

Anyone else had this issue? What stems (and sizes) are people using on their older bikes? I don't have an old one to measure. Has someone got an early 70's TdF AND a set of vernier calipers?

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Wow, not to worry! When I get the bike I will try to fit a new stem without modifications. I had read recently (Sheldon Brown) that the French steerer tube is slightly smaller (22.0 mm) and that the standard 22.2 mm stem may not fit the steerer tube or the headset lock ring. IIRC my Peugeot PR10 was like that, the replacement stem had to be sanded slightly to make it fit. But I have been warned to take the original Pivo stem and unmarked bars and hang them on the wall, so I am making plans for replacements.

Thanks for your help! - Jim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
the70sbike
Sheldon Brown's site has an excellent article on French bikes and the threading/sizing issue:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

I have a reasonably original TdF and absolutely love it! I am still riding the Pivo stem and no name bars, but I do not ride hard or particularly fast. My bike is very low mileage also.

Good luck with your ride and remember that we love pictures here!
Re: whoa!!!! 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Paul Wiseman wrote:
I'm really concerned about using sandpaper.........
Are you trying to shim the stem? That's probably not a great idea on a critical part like your stem. I honestly thought that the steerer tube in your bike would be a standard 1". If the stem doesn't fit correctly, don't use it. It can't be worth your life or health.

Anyone else had this issue? What stems (and sizes) are people using on their older bikes? I don't have an old one to measure. Has someone got an early 70's TdF AND a set of vernier calipers?

Gitane used all metric tubes and threads at least into the late 1970s when French bikes started switching over to English standards. I have a 1982 or 83 Motobecane Team bike with Metric Columbus tubing and metric threads. I also have a 1988 Peugeot Chorus with metric Reynolds 753tubing and inch size threads.

I have about a dozen spare Cinelli, 3TTT and other quality stems. I've checked them all with a micrometer and found them ranging from 21.8mm to 22.3mm. A number of them where even out of round - oval shaped. Also, the diameter changes over the length of many of these stems.

The bore on metric steering tubes was supposed to be 22.0mm and metric stems were listed as 21.9mm or 22mm. Ideally a 21.9mm stem should fit perfectly in a 22.0mm bore.

I've seen metric 25mm x 1mm steering tubes with bore sizes from 21.9mm to 22.2mm. If the OP has a steering tube with a 22.0mm bore and a premium quality forged stem with a 22.1mm or 22.2mm diameter, removing .2mm (.008") shouldn't hurt anything. He should make sure to insert the stem to at least the minimum insertion point. The big thing is to make sure the expander section of the stem is located below the steering tube threads.

The standard for French road bars used to be 25mm at the center. Old Cinelli stems and bars were 26.4. Later bars and stems were 26mm, 3TTT used 26mm bars and stems and some brands used 25.8mm which worked OK with 26mm.

Metric 22mm Cinelli and 3TTT stems show up on eBay quite frequently. Watch the French sellers.

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Thanks, guys. I have the bike home now and I will take pictures of it soon and post them.

Anybody going to the Velo Rendezvous in Pasadena, CA, Sept 20-23? I have plans of Sunday but could make Saturday!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I took some of my bikes there for the show two years ago...not sure about going this year. If I went, it would only be on Sunday for the bike show. The ride is a bit slow (i.e. painfully slow), but maybe I will bring my wife and have her do the ride as well???

Hello! and Question 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane