gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » Help need to identify my stolen Gitane
Help need to identify my stolen Gitane 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
Fred
Three years ago my Gitane was stolen. Since then I've changed bike every year but none of them came close to the comfort of the Gitane.

I'm now trying to find the exact same model, or a newer version of the model. However, after hours googling for it I have come up with nothing.

Unfortunately, I am far from an expert on bicycles in general, so the background info I can provide is rather meagre. I have tried to use the proper terminology so hopefully someone here might be able to know which model I'm talking about.

The bike must have been manufactured ca 1998-2000 because I bought the bike in June 2000, in Sweden. The price was roughly EUR 550/USD 750 so it was one of the cheaper models.

Model name: Gitane Street 500, Hybrid (Trekking?)
Shifter model: Shimano
Gears: 24 (I think - could be 21 but not less)
Colour: Dark green, light brown saddle
Handlebars: Flat with upright bar ends
Gear shifting controls: Grip shift on the handlebar itself ("twistshifter"?)
Tyres: Thickness somewhere inbetween those of MTBs and city bikes

The bike resembles the new Gitane Flat Bar Mach 3400 2007 and the Gitane Outdoor 800.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Fred
Stockholm
gitane MIA 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hi Fred. Sorry, I don't have any ideas on the model ID for your bike. The catalogues page on this site has mostly road bikes during that time frame. Just thought I'd say welcome. If your'e looking for a comfortable bike, maybe try an old 60's or 70's gitane road bike. With the exception of the racing models, most of them were designed for comfort. Unfortunately, if your're in the USA it will be difficult to get another gitane hybrid as there is currently no gitane in the US. Maybe try the ebay sites for the european nations (i.e. www.ebay.fr). Still, even if you find one it will cost a lot to get it shipped..... Hope you find something you can enjoy.

cheers,
wisey

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Fred
Wisey, thanks for your reply! I really hoped that this forum could identify the bike, but it almost seems that my bike was manufactured in one exemplar only... Confused

I live in Sweden and since Gitane isn't available here in the shops anymore, I must buy one from somewhere in Europe. And if I am to order one through an online store, I need to know exactly which 2007 model is the "successor" to my old Street 500.

I understand that Gitane was reintroduced at the British market a couple of years ago, and I will continue my research in a bike shop in London when I go there in September.

Fred
Help need to identify my stolen Gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane