gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1983 Super Challenge
1983 Super Challenge 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
mlofty
Hello All. I am new to the forum and have found the Gitane site very helpful. I have been biking for years and have had numerous bikes but have recently come across a 1983 Gitane Super Challenge. This bike was bought new by my father in 83. I can recall him buying it but never really riding it. it has hung in the Garage for 24 years. As far as I can tell it has all the exact parts listed in the 1983 catalog. Everything is original on the bike, color, parts, graphics. I recently put some money into getting the bike tuned up at a local bike shop to get it road ready. The bike shop told me it was in almost new shape considering the age and actually a very solid, light, well made steel bike, considering it is not one of Gitanes top-level Reynolds bikes. All I have done to it is add new tires/tubes and new brake pads as the rubber was dry rotted. It rides prefect with no signs of age what so ever.

I have now gotten bitten by the vintage bike bug and are now going to look for some of the more prized, rare reynolds bikes like the TDF and the Corsa. Thanks to the site for all the info.

Here are some pics of the Super Challenge

[/img][/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
lofter
hey welcome mlofty,boy one look at that bike and u must be a tall rider . glad u like the site . stephen has put alot of work into it to get it where it is today. enjoy the gitanes......don

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
mlofty
lofter wrote:
hey welcome mlofty,boy one look at that bike and u must be a tall rider . glad u like the site . stephen has put alot of work into it to get it where it is today. enjoy the gitanes......don

Thanks. Ha ha, I am 6' 3" tall, so I always am needing the bigger frames, luckily Dad was taller too. I remember him getting this as a 12 year old and thinking that is huge! This site is awesome and has not only helped me track down exactly the year and equipment on this bike, thanks to the catalogs, but has also been awesome to see the whole great history of the bikes and the following they have.

I have had many newer bikes. But the older bikes always seemed to have more character, especially the European ones, but I never knew exactly where to start or if I wanted to really get into the whole restoration, collector thing. I was skeptical to work on this bike as it was old. But since mom told me to get it out of the garage. My research on it led me to this site. It has proven very valuable and it is truly a well put together.

This will be the first of many older Gitanes I think, as in my research they have a unique style, look, ride and history all their own.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
lofter
and not to mention the most tdf wins of any bike Cool
most tdf wins 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Do you have those facts/dates Don? I know all of the Hinault/Fignon era, and I know Van Impe won the Tour on Gitane, but what about before that? Anquetil rode gitanes at some point. Did he win the Tour one one? Anyone else?

Welcome to the tall gitane riders club mlofty! Although I'm not quite as close to heaven as you, I think I tower over most of the others around here......

Nice to see you bike is such good condition.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
bowser
hi looks very similair to the bike i am trying to identify although yours appear to be brazed rather than lugged is the equipment shimano 600 mine has full early shimano 600 groupset tubing is vitus super 971 double butted mine is 24" i am 6ft 3 so another tall story!!
cheers bowser

peugeot ph12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
lofter
83 84 fignon ,hinault 4 times on gitane ,van impe once in 76 , and i think Anquetil rode four times to victory on gitane. that makes eleven.im checking on Anquetil tho.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
lofter
three times for Anquetil so ten altogether. not bad at all eh wisey?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
mlofty
bowser wrote:
hi looks very similair to the bike i am trying to identify although yours appear to be brazed rather than lugged is the equipment shimano 600 mine has full early shimano 600 groupset tubing is vitus super 971 double butted mine is 24" i am 6ft 3 so another tall story!!
cheers bowser

Mine is not lugged. And no shimano at all. It has all the equipment listed in the 83 catalog for Super Challenge. Which made it easily identified. Plus I knew it was purchased in 83. From what I have researched it seemed common for them to have different equipment than what was listed or advertised so I assume I am fortunate to have the original listed equipment.

Long live the tall riders
1983 Super Challenge 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane