gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Unusual frame
Unusual frame 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
gitane15
The forum has been very quiet lately. So let me post some pictures of a frame that came up on sale here in France, in LBC. I have no connection with the owner and no interest to buy it, but it picked my interest as it looks like a custom job, with 'modern' clamps and guides brazed on a vintage Reynolds frame with Huret dropouts. It has the pretty willow leaf style seat stays and a flat fork crown.

[/img]
1976 Tour De France 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Looks like a 1976 Tour de France. Maybe a Champion du Monde or Olympic model?

The frames were Reynolds 531. Some of them had Huret honeycomb dropouts and some came with Campagnolo dropouts.

Gitane stopped using those Huret rear dropouts after 1976

They came with Huret Success derailleurs, Mafac Competition or 2000 brakes and Stronglight 93 or Sugino Mighty Comp cranks. The headset looks like some after market brand. Same with the seatpost.

The top tube and bottom, bracket cable guides and water bottle mounts were added probably before the bike was repainted.

Here's a 1976 review from Bicycling Magazine:

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=14734

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
What ?? Whoa, did you feel that? Smile

I swear I just felt the earth move a bit---it HAS been a long time !!!

Hey fellows this is great. Good to hear from both long time members.

I stop by here daily to check for new activity, seems like all the comments are on the Facebook group site as of late.

I'm preparing to try to set up a previous Super Corsa frameset into a 15 speed touring bike. If I can get the bottom bracket and triple Crankset spacing and alignment worked out then I plan to dissemble and have the frame painted before final assembly.

So I'll try to do my part to add some future photos.

Good to hear from you Chas ! Kinda of miss the days of frequent posts from you and Lofter, Wisey, Nicholas, Kinst, Frenchbuilt, and Scozim. Many thanks Stephan for your continued support of the Gitane USA site.

Still trying to get my hands on the 1985 Professionel to add to my stable. Seems a shame it sits in a basement instead of time on the road. The owner just not willing to part with it. Confused

I Like Steel !!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
verktyg
smilingroadrunner wrote:
I stop by here daily to check for new activity...

Hi C.A.

I stop by every week or so but haven't seen any activity for a long time.

smilingroadrunner wrote:
I'm preparing to try to set up a previous Super Corsa frameset into a 15 speed touring bike. If I can get the bottom bracket and triple Crankset spacing and alignment worked out then I plan to dissemble and have the frame painted before final assembly.

What kind of cranks are you planning on using?

I put this Flickr album together in a hurry a few years ago when I was building up a late 60's Interclub frame to use as a single speed beater.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28267220@N05/6204982508/in/album-72157627678462359/

Scroll through the pictures and check out my comments under each one for some pointers that may help. (the pics take a minute to load)

smilingroadrunner wrote:
Good to hear from you Chas ! Kinda of miss the days of frequent posts from you and Lofter, Wisey, Nicholas, Kinst, Frenchbuilt, and Scozim. Many thanks Stephan for your continued support of the Gitane USA site.

+1

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
G' evening Chas, thanks for the reply and the information-photos you've shared.

Well, at this point I have a Stronglight 99 crankset 170mm 50/45/30 triple w BB (but I'm not sure that it is French thread pretty sure that it probably is not )

I also have a Tagaki Touring AD 170mm 52/45/32 (that I picked up on the cheap some time in the past).

I assume that I will likely have to purchase a replacement Velo Orange French thread BB just not sure if Ill have to purchase a couple different sizes to try different width for chain stay clearance and alignment with rear cluster.

I have a couple bids in for Campagnolo Veloce Triple Racing 54/42/32 cranksets in 170, and 175 lengths but again assuming that I will have to match up with a replacement BB from Velo Orange.

Planning on trying to use Shimano RX 100 Front derailleur and Shimano Ultegra RD 6600 GS Long cage Rear derailleurs that I have.

This is a S.C. frame & fork sans BB and headset and seatpost clamp bolt BUT it will likely become somewhat of a Frakenbike in terms of the possible Drive Train set-up.

I have another S.C. frameset that I plan to set up some day with all the appropriate Campy components. In the process of collecting Campy hardware for this eventual restoration of the '72 S.C. I've got extra Campy components that I can use for this touring bike.

I have done several touring - camping rides this year with my Boy Scout Troop members (kind of cool that the fellows decided they wanted to try using their bikes instead of last years hiking backpacking trips) and I really enjoyed using my sons Trek 6000 mountain bike set up for panniers for these weekend campout adventures. Most of these trips were on local county gravel roads---but I would like to try to set up this old Gitane frame for possible usage for some road trips next year.

So I should know if I score one of the possible Campy Triple cranksets in a few days, then it is just a matter of what Axle width I may need to order from Velo Orange.

I Like Steel !!!
Triple BB Spindle 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Gitane used French threaded BBs until the early 1980's.

French cups have right hand threads on both sides. British fixed (drive side cups have left hand threads)

FRENCH
35 mm X 1mm
(1.378” x 25.4 TPI)

BRITISH
1.370” x 24 TPI
(34.8 x 1.06 mm

Let me know what crankset you want to use.

Stronglight triple BB spindles are 123mm or 125.5mm long.

Campy Veloce triple cranks use 115.5mm or 116mm BBs. A 117mm or 118mm should work fine with used cranks as they will seat further onto the taper.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Thanks Chas, I should know if I score one of the Campy triples in the next 48 hrs,

I will get back to you.

I sincerely appreciate the help with the spindle length issue.

I Like Steel !!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
scozim
I agree - activity in the forum is a positive. I too have checked weekly but most of the activity seems to be with the Facebook group..

I picked up a Gitane Olympic frame from France with the Huret dropouts a couple of years ago and absolutely love the ride. Would recommend it for sure if one can get one. Token Gitane photo below. I've since gone with modern Tektro dual pivot brakes and levers and an aero look (just because I prefer the look over non-aero).

Chas - great to hear from you. Been worried because I hadn't seen posts here or on BF for a long time. Thanks for chiming in.

As for me I've, unfortunately, been riding less the past two years and replaced it with coaching my daughter's fastpitch softball teams. I have a pretty significant low back issue now and have retired from coaching and am working to get back on the bike. One of the three Gitane's is always the first off the wall and out on the road for me.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Unusual frame 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane