gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New to the Forum and TdF just acquired
New to the Forum and TdF just acquired 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
JustJan
Hello. I've been reading and learning TONS for a couple of weeks. I'm a budding mechanic (hobby mostly) and I've just gotten this bike to sell for a friend. Since I knew nothing about it, I've taken my time and researched for a while and determined this much. Just wondered if anyone here might have and be willing to share any other info. It's been fun learning about its history and fans.

Vintage Gitane Tour de France

Reynolds 531 frame, Color: gold
Size: 60 cm /
Pedals: Lyotard w/ Christophe leather toe straps
Rims: Super Champion / Gentleman 81
Rear derailleur: Simplex (needs new jockey wheels)
Front derailleur: Campognolo
Hubs: Campognolo
Cranks: Stronglite
Brakes: Superbe
Headset: Stronglite P3
Stem and handlebars: Mavic “Olympic Mod. Competizione Limite Edition”
Saddle: Leather Superleggero
Lugs: Bocama Medium Point

Research leads me to believe this is a 1972 model.
Reynolds 531 frame. Original decals plus “WARES” - bike shop in Milwaukee.
No dents or damage. Just a couple of small paint chips but no rust anywhere. This bike was well cared for and/or very lightly ridden.

Front tire does not hold air. Could use new tubes and tires both front and back.
Simplex rear derailleur pulleys are smooth and need to be replaced.

Saddle and post are not original. I pulled it out of the frame but it the post seems slightly too big for the frame so I do not want to force it back in without a proper measurement of both, first.

Comes with the original Gitane tool kit that was most likely sold with the bike new. Also included are an original in the box spare tube and patch kit in a tin.

1972 TdF 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Congratulations, you did your research and got almost all of the details right! Wink

FIRST OFF, the stem is WAY TOO HIGH!

Stems need to be inserted 75mm to 80mm into the steerer for safety reasons. The expander part of the stem needs to be below the threaded part of the steerer.

When expanded in that area it can cause the threaded top of the steerer to break off. Been there done that!

TdFs came with sewups not clinchers. Many times the rims were changed to clinchers when the bike was sold or shortly afterwards when the owner decided they couldn't deal with tubular tires.

TdFs came with MAFAC center pull brakes. First generation Shimano DuraAce side pull brakes were a common upgrade in 1974.

The correct seatpost size is 26.4mm. TdFs came with straight chrome plated seat pins.

Seat tubes can be out of round from the factory or been collapsed from clamping down on an undersized seat post.

The slot in the rear of the lug should be straight from top to bottom:

...not closed down like this.

You can take a large screwdriver or a pry bar to gently spread the "ears" were the clamp bolt goes through.

TdFs came with these plastic Feccia D'Oro (golden arrow) plastic ass hatchet saddles. Painful at any speed!

My 1971 almost all original 1971 Tour de France came form Wares in Milwaukee. The first thing that I did when I got it was to put on a Brooks Pro leather saddle.

It's a shame that you have to sell this bike after putting in all of the work.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
JustJan
Hi Chas. Your posts have been super helpful in figuring out what I have so far. I saw that your bike had a Wares decal, also. Interesting coincidence.

I've done no work on the bike itself. It came to me just as is. My friend brought it to me because he knew nothing about the bike, either, and how much to ask for it. Seems like it's just going to matter who the potential new owner(s) might be. I'm happy to hear suggestions for a fair price, if anyone has them.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll take a look at those things as long as I have it. It's been a fun learning experience.
Like that Paint 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Welcome Jan to the Gitane Forum.

I've always liked the "Gold" candy finish of the possibly '70---'73 vintage Gitanes. You don't see this color that frequently. Least common probably was Black finish. I've only seen 1 with the original factory paint.

I don't know---this is a pretty nice TdeF---does it fit you ??? Are you sure you want to sell it ?----"Gitane Obsessive - Compulsive Disorder" is fairly easily acquired

Wink
I Like Steel !!!!

'70 TdeF
'71 Interclub
"72 Interclub X 2
'72 TdeF
'73 TdeF
'72 possibly '73 Super Corsa
'86 Performance
'87 Victoire
Hopefully an '85 Professionel in the near future

and a few other S.C. frames for future projects

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
JustJan
Oh, how I wish it fit me! I'm pretty vertically challenged and tried but absolutely cannot manage to reach the pedals when in the extended position. I keep reading about how different the ride is and now I want to experience it. Apparently, it will have to be on a different bike. In all of my research I also could not find another gold finish and it made me even more curious.

Thanks for the welcome, smilingroadrunner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
scozim
JustJan wrote:
Oh, how I wish it fit me! I'm pretty vertically challenged and tried but absolutely cannot manage to reach the pedals when in the extended position. I keep reading about how different the ride is and now I want to experience it. Apparently, it will have to be on a different bike. In all of my research I also could not find another gold finish and it made me even more curious.

Thanks for the welcome, smilingroadrunner.

It's probably too "good" you can't ride it - it would completely suck you in and you'd have to keep it. My mid-70's Reynolds 531 Gitane is an awesome riding bike.

I too really like that gold color - just stunning on that bike.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
New to the Forum and TdF just acquired 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane