gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » which seat should be bought for bike
which seat should be bought for bike 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
69trdef
I have the same seat as Tony with the diamond texture on it. I was thinking of up grading to a leather. I want to put it on the 1970 tour de france that I am going to rebuild this winter. Thanks.
Re: which seat should be bought for bike 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
scozim
69trdef wrote:
I have the same seat as Tony with the diamond texture on it. I was thinking of up grading to a leather. I want to put it on the 1970 tour de france that I am going to rebuild this winter. Thanks.

That's a really individual question. Takes a lot of trial and error sometimes to find what works for you. Over the years I've determined that three fit me best - original Selle Italia Turbo, Avocet O2 Air 40R and Vetta TT Tri shock. I have friends that can't ride any of those but love the Concor or Selle Italia Flite.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Re: which seat should be bought for bike 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
verktyg
69trdef wrote:

Please read my quote from 2008:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622&sid=598dcc1925cb277b132b57c9dd0f2efb

Gitane and other European brands used a wide variety of cheap plastic "ass hatchet" saddles during the bike boom in the early 70's. Shocked

Those saddles were UNCOMFORTABLE for most riders because they were narrow with round tops which put a lot of pressure into the center of a rider's nether region! Crying or Very sad

I'm not sure of the saddle being discussed but I think that it was a lightly padded Cinelli Unicanitor with a quilted leather top. They were moderately wide and flat across the rear and quite expensive even back in the day.

Gitane Gran Sport bikes were entry level models. Occasionally they came with the cheap plastic saddles mentioned above that had a thinly padded quilted looking cover.

Early 70's Gitane TdFs came with plastic Freccia D' Oro saddles. They were just as uncomfortable as the cheap saddles that came on Gran Sports! Rolling Eyes

Not meaning to throw cold water on your plans to use the saddle that you have may be one of the cheap ones like I just mentioned. If so it's going to be VERY uncomfortable. Twisted Evil

Brooks Pros are/were some of the best leather saddles made. They range from over $100 USD and up, even for used ones.

The Ideale 90 was about the best French made saddle. Ideale has been out of business since the mid 1980's. Used Ideale 90 saddles in good condition are expensive. Ideale 39 saddles are like riding on plywood and the model 80's aren't much better.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Ideale_main.htm

There are several new companies making leather saddles. I've never ridden any of them so I can't say...

If you are building the bike to ride rather than for looks, I'd consider one of the newer "zoomie" style saddles with "love channels" to relieve pressure in the center.

I like these WTB Silverado saddles. They don't look very comfortable but the sure are! Very Happy

A good adjustable seat post is important for comfort too. An seat angle adjustment of as little a 1° or 2° can make a big difference!

I was out riding a 1972-73 Super Corsa that I hadn't been on in several years. I have a Brooks pro on it and I lowered the seat by several millimeters and changed the angle by 2° before riding. After 10 miles I stopped and lowered the seat again 1mm.

For me, when my seat is adjusted properly I don't notice I'm sitting on it. My weight is evenly distributed between the feet and my butt and there's no pressure in my hands on the bars. Wink

Hope this helps....

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional