gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 69/70 Tour De France bottom end issue
69/70 Tour De France bottom end issue 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
69trdef
Hi all of you Gitane comandos I am a newbie. But, not to Gitane! As you are probably aware the bottom end retainers are problematic because they are both right hand threads. If yours will just not stay tight what is the work around? I really don't want to modify the bottom end, but changing the French thread to Italian has wondered thru my mind. With the Italian tread I could put in a left handed thread and problem solved. Also a bottom end cartridge may also be a total renovation. Tell me what you think. Easy on me I break! Oh, if you look at the home page for 70 tour De France that is what my bike looks like sort of, same color, lt. Blue. The rear derailleur drop is solid not lets say fanned out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
69trdef
In addition to the above. It will take me sometime to post my own pictures because the bike is buried in my shed. I haven't worked on it in sometime but cause even in the 70's I could not come by the parts in my area, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is a nice bike just needs to be treated with the right kind of love. I would like to make it a rider but if not I'll clean it up and put it in my man cave, which my living room. Wink
Re: 69/70 Tour De France bottom end issue 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
scozim
69trdef wrote:
Hi all of you Gitane comandos I am a newbie. But, not to Gitane! As you are probably aware the bottom end retainers are problematic because they are both right hand threads. If yours will just not stay tight what is the work around? I really don't want to modify the bottom end, but changing the French thread to Italian has wondered thru my mind. With the Italian tread I could put in a left handed thread and problem solved. Also a bottom end cartridge may also be a total renovation. Tell me what you think. Easy on me I break! Oh, if you look at the home page for 70 tour De France that is what my bike looks like sort of, same color, lt. Blue. The rear derailleur drop is solid not lets say fanned out.

I have used two of the Velo Orange cartridge French thread bottom brackets and haven't had any issues as long as it's tightened properly.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
69trdef
Thanks scozim, I was trying to fix this years ago before the internet or lock tight. I also did not have the proper tools. So, I am not going to get too excited, I have proper tools now and I am going to use blue lock tight as well. But first I am going to give it a good cleaning and greasing. That brings up another question: which grease is the best for repacking these and other bearings thru out the bike? Also do you have a link to that cartridge encase!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
scozim
69trdef wrote:
Thanks scozim, I was trying to fix this years ago before the internet or lock tight. I also did not have the proper tools. So, I am not going to get too excited, I have proper tools now and I am going to use blue lock tight as well. But first I am going to give it a good cleaning and greasing. That brings up another question: which grease is the best for repacking these and other bearings thru out the bike? Also do you have a link to that cartridge encase!

I use Finish Line Grease from my bike shop. It's the number 1 grease they use. So far it's been really good

Link below. You'll want to make sure you have the right spindle length. I accidentally got my last one 2 mm too short for my Stronglight 103 crankset so I had to switch to another. Got some chain rub on the inside of the large ring when the chain angle was a little steeper but I wasn't completely cross chained.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/grand-cru-bottom-brackets-hollow-axle-alloy-cups-1177.html

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
69trdef
I think my spindle is right because it all lines up right. I don't think that I had enough torch on it. But, at the same time I don't want to damage those threads down there. Is there a spec for that? I was thinking of some white lithium grease but I have seen on YouTube a marine grease being used. In the past I have used something else,,, goose grease? I bought it at a bike shop. If I torch that bottom end up and lock tight it, I probably will not be going back in there. I just discovered my old fenders! They are light blue and have a chrome foil running in the center. The foil is incomplete. The fenders are pitted but straight. The pits are 1/8 inch with some surface rust starting. The support frame wire?, is not straight and the chrome is not good. How would go about getting the cosmetics back? I likely will have some of the same issues on the frame but the bike is still in the shed. Can you get touch up paint? I am looking at the identical bike as in the main site image page of a 1970 Tour De France, that light blue. I don't know what crank set I have haven't dug out the bike yet. Looks like I should get it out! The availability of the proper size my be an issue if I want to upgrade to a cartridge Thank for the help,scozim. Bob
69/70 Tour De France bottom end issue 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane