gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Please help me identify my bike....
Please help me identify my bike.... 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
lowridin67
I took ownership of this bike about 15 years ago in trade for some mtn bike parts. The I've lost touch with the friend I got it from but remember it was the bike he raced in the early 90s, maybe even the 80s. I thought he had told me it was italian, but when I decided to give it some upgrades I found out it was french.
It had already been repainted and most components switched out for Shimano Sante/105 parts.
The bottom bracket and headset were Campagnolo, the fork steerer is stamped with Reynolds 531, butted 16/13 (I think those are the numbers). The bottom bracket is 35x1, which was the first thing to make me realize it was not itailian, but french. The steerer is also flat on one side. The frame has a couple stamps on the bottom bracket housing, but I can't read them. The back of the seat tube has J•ELLIS stamped on it vertically. It has Simplex dropouts.
I have found some red paint inside the bottom bracket and head tube. The fork blades look like they may have been chrome, but they've been sanded and painted. I can't tell if it went all the way up or just the bottom half.
Here are some pics: (Note: I added the cable stops on the downtube because I'm going to modern 10 spd 105 components.)

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane