gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Replacement part questions for 1st Gitane.
Replacement part questions for 1st Gitane. 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
JCG
This is my first Gitane and bike with a cotter pin crankset. The frame sticker says interclub.

questions

Since the large ring has a bad warp and will need to be replaced what are my choices including bottom bracket keeping the Simplex RD and Suntour FD?

Also need to know what vintage rims and cassettes to source?

Thanks,

JCG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
scozim
I guess a lot of it depends on whether you want to keep the cottered crankset or go non-cottered. If you get rid of the cotters you'll have a lot of flexbility with cranksets.

On my last two French bikes I have decided to go with a Velo Orange sealed French thread bottom bracket and have been glad I did. Less messing around with bearings and more flexibility with cranksets.

I did have one bike with a cottered crankset that I kept on the bike. The rings were steel and I was able to straighten the bend/wobble in the big ring with a large crescent wrench. Took a little patience but it worked well.

For wheels there are a variety of options from different manufacturers. I would look at Mavic, Rigida, Araya. The frame probably came with 27" wheels. If you go with 700c you'll need to make sure your brake calipers can drop 4 mm since the 700c rims are slightly smaller in diameter.

If you really want to have fun run some tubular rims with cheaper, training tubular tires. I did that with a low end Peugeot and love the ride. Took quite a bit weight off.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Replacement part questions for 1st Gitane. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane