gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Restoring a 75 Champion du Monde
Restoring a 75 Champion du Monde 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
gitane15
This is the bike I'm working on: http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2894. I took it apart and started cleaning its components and frame. The rear fork ends were in bad shape cosmetically. I brushed them for hours, first with acetone to remove a superficial layer of gray paint, then with 000 steel wool and vinegar to get rid of the rust, and at the end with some WD40:

The honeycomb dropouts were not very rusted, and they came up nice and shiny. But the tubes still have some dark spots and overall it looks like polished steel rather than chrome. Any advice to finish and protect them better, other than repainting which I want to avoid?

Btw the dropouts are marked "57". Not sure what that means. Could it refer to the size of the frame?

The chrome of the front fork is much better:

The neck of the fork is engraved REYNOLDS 531 BUTTED 16/13.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
19ch3vy85
I used rubbing compound on mine, I'm not an expert on the matter but it did help alot. Hope you get it restored and cleaned post pictures when finished
chrome refinishing 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
gman309905
the only way I know of to improve on the finish would be to have it re-chromed. To keep what you have I would suggest a good car wax. You say you do not want to paint it but a clear coat would probably help to preserve what you have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
gitane15
I brushed the forks with wax. It didn't make a big difference but it looks OK overall since the frame paint is in average shape too. It all 'blends in'. Thanks for the tip.

Here's the Stronglight 99 triple and its Competition spindle (123mm):

I found a decent pair of Mavic Monthlery Route rims mounted on Normandy Luxe Competition hubs and Maillard skewers. Is that OK that the fork doesn't sit completely on the axle? It looks like it's 2mm of space left out of 5mm. I guess it needs some clearing for the skewers.

The original handlebars and brake levers were missing from the bike, and the stem was a 60's type Pivo. I replaced it with a 90mm Atax Philippe (as Chas recommended), Philippe Professional handlebars, and drilled Mafac levers.

The brakes are the classic Mafac Racer. I added new pads, and at some point I'll replace the screw.

It's getting there.. It takes more time that it should since I don't have the experience. I hope it won't be too difficult to adjust the Huret Challenger gears and fine-tune the brakes not to screech like before. I still have to find cables with a narrow head that fits the Huret.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
scozim
Nice job and progress. I like the Phillippe stem and bar - got them on my PX10 and they look great. What do you have for derailleurs?

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:49 am Reply with quote
gitane15
Thanks. I bought the Philippe stem and bars on eBay, and it's possible they were mounted on a PX10 before. I think that's what the seller was advertising. They are solid, light, in good shape, and were not too expensive.

The derailleur is Huret Challenger dated 08 75. It was working so-and-so before, but I cleaned it up and lubricated its two wheels and I hope with new cables it'll shift better. I put on a new Maillard Atom freewheel with SRAM PC 870 chain.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
19ch3vy85
Wow very nice job where those original decals? I was just wondering because I've been looking everywhere for same exact type with no luck. But i think the bike looks mint good job.
Gitane Decals? 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Are you looking for Gitane decals? Google is your friend...

Several online sources:

Cyclomondo in Australia - ships worldwide

http://cyclomondo.net/page13.htm

http://tinyurl.com/p7kpxs8

Velo-cals in the US

http://www.velocals.com/gitane/

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Gitane decals 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
I can also recommend Cyclomondo for Gitane decals, the mans name is Greg Softly and I have purchased decals from him several times. http://cyclomondo.net/page35.htm If you would like to see an example check out my bike " resurrection" in the owners gallery
http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2502

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
gitane15
Finally put the bike together. It's an all-French assembly:

Stronglight P3 steering
Stronglight 99 triple crankset (36/45/52)
Atom 66 freewheel (16-22)
SRAM chain
Lyotard 460D pedals
Mafac Racer brakes and drilled levers
Huret Challenger derailleurs and shift levers
Mavic Monthlery Route tubular rims
Normandy Luxe Competition hubs
Maillard quick-releases
Gommitalia Champion sewups (700x22C)
Atax Philippe stem
Philippe Professional handlebars
Rustines rubber plugs
Ideale 2002 seat
JPR seat post (26,4)
Transfil yellow cable

Haven't decided about the bartape. Want a dark red one that doesn't contrast with the frame, but I hate to pay 55e for the leather Brooks (not to mention that it won't be then all-French Wink I'll keep it naked for now.

polish it out!! 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
I have used 1200 or 1500 grit wet sandpaper and believe it or not this can polish out chrome with final polishing with heavy chrome cleaner. This will also take off the rust on the exposed metal areas and blend in with chrome.

Try on small area first but it does work. I have a stock of this paper from or model shop but the grit is not written but memory says 1200 or 1500 3M.

I just did this to some steel stronglight dust covers and looks new. On a Philippes track stem which came with very poor chrome to begin with, the results were also very good-not perfect but the chrrome polished out fine.

This paper is on e bay as polishing paper up to 4000 grit. Cheap and really worth a try.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
gitane15
After a few months of riding and adjusting the bike, I put some finishing touches to it and posted (lots of) pictures here:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17691
Restoring a 75 Champion du Monde 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane