gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Huret honeycomb dropouts
Huret honeycomb dropouts 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
scozim
I periodically still see photos of Gitane's with the Huret honeycomb dropouts and they really catch my eye. I think they are quite cool. Maybe I'm in a minority but eventually I'll find one in my size

So, a couple of questions:

1) How long did Huret make that specific dropout
2) What specific models and years did Gitane use them. I seem to remember the Tour de France and Interclub having them. What about other models?
3) Were there any problems with the dropouts over the years - failures, etc.?

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Re: Huret honeycomb dropouts 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
verktyg
scozim wrote:
I periodically still see photos of Gitane's with the Huret honeycomb dropouts and they really catch my eye. I think they are quite cool. Maybe I'm in a minority but eventually I'll find one in my size

So, a couple of questions:

1) How long did Huret make that specific dropout
2) What specific models and years did Gitane use them. I seem to remember the Tour de France and Interclub having them. What about other models?
3) Were there any problems with the dropouts over the years - failures, etc.?

Hi Scott,

The earliest picture that I've seen of Huret honeycomb dropouts was the Federal model in the 1973 French catalog (that was a few years ago here in the catalog section of this site).

In 1974 Gitane Pacific in Southern California took over importing and distribution of Gitanes in the US. Prior to that, Mel Pinto Imports was the distributor.

The complete Gitane line changed in 1974... Decals, paint, model specs and so on.

The Super Corsa was discontinued, the Tour de France was dumbed down to the European specifications while the Interclub specs were improved.

The Tour de France and the Interclub were the only 2 sporting model Gitane bikes listed in Gitane Pacific's literature in 1974 & 75. They were single page color flyers.

The Huret honeycomb dropouts (we originally called them spiderweb dropouts) where used on the 1974 to 1976 Gitane performance model bikes - from the Super Olympic down to the Federal.

During those years some of the top Gitane bikes made for the European market like the Super Olympic, and Olympic were built with Campagnolo dropouts. Some 1976 Tour de France bikes came with Campy dropouts.

When the honeycomb dropouts first appeared they were so strange looking that even inexperienced first time buyer commented negatively about those dropouts.

The few 1974, 1975 and 1976 Tour de France and Interclub models that we brought into our shop, ended up being sold at near cost just to get rid of them.

A few of the Velo Solex mid range model bikes that we sold around 1976-77 had those dropouts too.

I also saw a picture of a British made Dawes from the same era with Huret honeycomb dropouts.

Those dropouts had a unique feature, Campagnolo style, Simplex and Huret derailleurs could be mounted on them.

There's an attachment that fit on the back for the chain to hook over when the rear wheel was removed on the Gitane Traveler or Get-Away folding bikes.

Most dropouts with integral derailleurs were forged steel. The Huret honeycomb dropouts appear to have been cast steel rather than forged.

I've never seen or heard of any problems with them.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Thanks Chas. They are intrgiuing to me and, frankly, pretty cool looking because they are so different. I'd like one some day but I'd want it to be full 531.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Huret honeycomb dropouts 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane