gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane mixte ID help
Gitane mixte ID help 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Lucky
I was wondering if anyone could help confirm my mixte identification. I believe it is a 1979 Gypsy sport. It has the made in Taiwan Republic of China sticker and the metal head badge and the Chrome forks. I saw only one picture of a maroon one like mine with the same stickers and it was listed as such. I am in the process of rebuilding and painting it. One thing I thought was odd is it came with a Shimano FF System crank set. It is the first one I had seen and I never thought it would be on a Gitane. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Not really a Gitane 
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Not trying to be a spoilsport, just providing the history on your bike.

These bikes were made by a Taiwanese bike manufacture. There were a number of those companies that built low end bikes in the mid to late 70s.

They would put any brand name you wanted on the bikes if you ordered a large enough quantity of them - probably 5000 minimum.

So it's not really a Gitanes but a Taiwanese bike. So, what's the difference?

In 1974 Gitane Pacific - a US company located in Southern California took over importation and distribution of Gitane bikes for the US. The previous supplier, Mel Pinto Imports had many years of experience in the sporting bicycle industry.

In my opinion the folks at Gitane Pacific didn't have a clue about the business. I think that they were trying to cash in and make a fast buck on the US bike boom which was coming to a screeching end in 1974.

They only offered a few French made Gitane models and imported some Gitane labeled low end end Japanese made bikes and even lower priced Taiwanese models.

The entry level Gitanes weighed about 27 lbs. with mostly steel components. Gitanes with alloy components weighed ~25 lbs.

The Gitane labeled Japanese models with all alloy components weighed ~32 Lbs. while the Taiwanese made bikes weighed over 40 Lbs.

What's a few pounds? most of the weight difference was in the frames. The heavier bikes had frames made of thick walled tubing. This gave the bikes a dead, clunky feel when riding. If you were just going around the block it probably didn't make much difference!

In 1974 and again in 1975 we brought some of the Japanese and Taiwanese models in to check them out. By that time the US market for sporting bikes was changing from $80 to $100 entry level bike to $150+ mid price range and better quality bikes!

We kept one of the 40 lb. Taiwan made Gypsy Sports in our showroom just so that customers could compare the difference in ride between it and a better quality bike.

The rest of those models we sold off cheap...

Another problem with Japanese and Taiwanese made sporting bikes from those years it that they were made to the specs of the US importers most of whom had no idea about how bikes should ride or handle; they just needed to look pretty and shiny!

By the late 1970's a lot of Japanese made bikes copied the features of the better quality European bike and started taking over the sporting bike market in the US. In the early 80's the Taiwanese bike makers followed suite.

Your bike is a ~1977 "Freewheeler" model that features Shimano's short lived Front Freewheel System (FFS) gearing. It allowed shifting gears of sorts while the bike was stopped...

click on picture for larger view

"...The late Sheldon Brown, noted bicycle authority, called FFS a "solution in search of a problem."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_freewheel

Criticizing someone's bike (which may be a prized possession) is like saying "Wow, your dog sure is ugly"!

The problem with a frame like yours is that no matter how much work that you put into it.... you'll still have an ugly dog!

It will be heavy and the ride and handling will be sub-par. Plus the resale value will never come close to the time and money you will have invested.

So, my suggestion would be to assemble the bike to a rideable condition and try it out before investing a lot of effort into it.

eBay and CL have always have listings for "Newly Restored" bikes. Most of them are probably bikes that someone invested a lot of time and money into and then discovered it didn't fit or they didn't like the ride or what ever.

If you're really into riding and you like a mixte frame, Gitane and other French companies built a lot of nice riding and handling mixtes. Look for one of those...

BTW, Gitane Pacific was only around from ~1973 until 1976. By 1977 the name had changed to Gitane West and shortly after that the doors were locked.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Lucky
Thanks for the reply and info. I had a feeling it would be something like that.
It has been fun so far and I have built up some old crusers in the past so I will just chalk it up to a fun cruiser build. It just got a new coat of GM Bahama Blue Metalic paint today before I read your post, so It will be the prettiest mutt at the local pub this summer. I am looking forward to trying out the FF system and it has been good practice.Very Happy I got some new decals to so it should look nice when I am done. I don't know if I should post pics now. Embarassed

BTW GM Bahama Blue Metalic seems to be a close match for the blue color. I guess I will keep a lookout for a real Gitane this summer in my travels!!

CHEERS!!
Bomber... 
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese and other Asian countries never had much of a sporting bike tradition.

99% of the millions of bikes in those countries are 50 Lb. urban transportation bikes. They're basically copies of British and other European bike designs from 100 years ago with very few improvements.

Japanese bikes - the husband pedaled while the wife sat side saddle on the wide rear rack holding their child plus groceries. I was always impressed by how gracefully Japanese women could dismount before the bike came to a complete stop.

Chinese Flying Pigeon bikes

Chinese bike traffic

How do I know this? Me 1964...

When you compare the ride of even most entry level European bikes you will be able to feel the difference in ride and handling,

The FFS used a special freewheel which may be just about impossible to find since the system was never very popular and died a quick, silent death about 25 years ago.

The bike would be a good candidate for a fixie or SS.

Have fun with your project.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional