gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Giante Plicylette..why no info?
Giante Plicylette..why no info? 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
gb
Hi, I'm new here but I've spent many hours searching for info on my Giante Plicylette folding bike from about 1968. I want to put it in our yard sale coming up, but there is no information on the internet about it's value. I'm not sure if it could be worth 2.00 or 200.00. I've exhausted every little link I've found from Chinese, to French to Dutch with no luck. I've called local bike dealers, they haven't a clue as to the value. They figure I have something very unique, or something that no body even wants to talk about. So, I'm asking for any advice or some possible link to a "secret" site that can tell me about this bike. My grandma bought it, she came over from France so it doesn't surprise me that she bought a French made bike. She and my parents used it for camping, that's really all I know. It's got a lot of rust spots on it, my bad, I've had it under a covered patio for about 10 years, saving it for my grandchildren, who don't seem interested in it. I'm going to try to post some pictures and give you all the information that I could find on it. Eyes aren't what they used to be so it might not all be correct.
Brake says 66-85 and Lown (?)
Back wheel gear says Huret
Under the seat a lever says BREVETTAT
The clamp on the under side of the seat has URSUSS and BREYEVETTO
And these are the pictures. Thank you for looking at my post.

[/img]
Re: why no info? Gitane not Giante Plicylette.. 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
gb wrote:
Hi, I'm new here but I've spent many hours searching for info on my Giante Plicylette folding bike from about 1968. I want to put it in our yard sale coming up, but there is no information on the internet about it's value. I'm not sure if it could be worth 2.00 or 200.00. I've exhausted every little link I've found from Chinese, to French to Dutch with no luck. I've called local bike dealers, they haven't a clue as to the value. They figure I have something very unique, or something that no body even wants to talk about. So, I'm asking for any advice or some possible link to a "secret" site that can tell me about this bike. My grandma bought it, she came over from France so it doesn't surprise me that she bought a French made bike. She and my parents used it for camping, that's really all I know. It's got a lot of rust spots on it, my bad, I've had it under a covered patio for about 10 years, saving it for my grandchildren, who don't seem interested in it. I'm going to try to post some pictures and give you all the information that I could find on it. Eyes aren't what they used to be so it might not all be correct.
Brake says 66-85 and Lown (?)
Back wheel gear says Huret
Under the seat a lever says BREVETTAT
The clamp on the under side of the seat has URSUSS and BREYEVETTO
And these are the pictures. Thank you for looking at my post.

For starters, the bike brand name is GITANE not GIANTE....

Next, most large European bike manufacturers made this style of folding bike during the 1970s...

I suspect that one or two companies made most of them and they were labeled to suit the brands.

These were convenience models that could be folded up to fit in a car, on a train and so on.

None of them rode or handled very well and that's a problem since most of the bikes discussed on this website are "sporting" or racing models.

From the catalog section of this website:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1970_pg9.jpg

Because of the expense involved in getting your folding bike safely ride-able. My guess that the current value would be around $25.00 USD or less - unless you find someone who collects ephemera like this bike.

The bike is around 40 years old and is going to need:

New tires and tubes which may not be easy to find because they're obsolete French size tires.

New brake and derailleur cables and housings.

New brake pads.

All of the bearings repacked.

That's at least $100 USD worth of work for a $25.00 bike!

A few years ago, I bought a similar Motobecane folding bike from a bike shop for $100 USD.

It had been completely cleaned and overhauled plus all of the above items were replaced.

I bought it to ride to the local market. It rides so poorly that I've hardly used it.

"They figure I have something very unique, or something that no body even wants to talk about."

Unique yes because not many were sold in the US market... Plus by now most of them have cycled through the crusher several times and have returned as Datsuns, Toyotas, Hyundais etc.

FYI - BREVETTATO and BREVETTO mean Patented in French and Italian...

So, there's your "secret" answers...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
gb
I appreciate your honesty about this bike. Sorry about the name, I did know it was Gitane, not Giante.
You answered my question, and I thank you for your reply.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
verktyg
gb wrote:
I appreciate your honesty about this bike. Sorry about the name, I did know it was Gitane, not Giante.
You answered my question, and I thank you for your reply.

The bike would have more value if it weren't for the rust which is a deal killer for most buyers.

You would probably do better trying to sell it as a "folding bike" to keep in a camper/RV/kombi/caravan.

Someone familiar with bikes could clean up the rust, repaint it and do an overhaul then it would make a nice bike for what it was designed for.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica