gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Pics of repainted 1975/6 Racing Team
Pics of repainted 1975/6 Racing Team 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
STW
Had a first ride on the repainted 1975/6 Racing Team. It may go back to the painter for some lug lining, and I'm looking for reproduction 531 decals, but I thought I'd put it back together for a ride in the meantime. Don't have the Normandy Luxe wheelset ready yet so Record wheels had to do for this ride. Also still deciding whether to keep the triple or convert it back to a double (a couple 20+% climbs near my house tend to require a low gear).

I inlcuded pics of the shifter bosses and top-of-bb cable guides I had brazed on when I was a kid in 1978.

respray 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Just Lovely.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Looks really nice. I have a NOS Brooks Pro like yours with the medium sized rivets plus several others with the smaller and big hammered rivets. The medium sized rivets were probably only made for a year or two.

I've never seen a Nervex triple with TA style chainrings. How does that Huret Jubilee handle the triple?

Looking at the catalogs, it looks like Gitane stopped doing lug lining in 1978 but I remember some of the frames with the newer decals weren't lined from 1974 on.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
STW
verktyg wrote:
Looks really nice. I have a NOS Brooks Pro like yours with the medium sized rivets plus several others with the smaller and big hammered rivets. The medium sized rivets were probably only made for a year or two.

Didn't realize they are rare. What years? This Brooks wasn't the one that came on the Gitane--I managed to destroy that one in the rain when I was a kid.
verktyg wrote:
I've never seen a Nervex triple with TA style chainrings. How does that Huret Jubilee handle the triple?

This Nervex originally had the TA Criterium ring set up--you can see the holes further out on the ring arms. I adapted it to work as a TA triple. The Huret Jubilee front is a smooth shifter on this crank for all three rings. I read back in the day that it was thought of as one of the best shifting fronts. The Jubilee rear is a quick easy sifter too. The chain take-up springs on Jubilees are congenitally weak, and I don't push it. But I only need to use a couple of large cogs with the small ring so there's not much extra chain take up required by having the third ring.
verktyg wrote:
Looking at the catalogs, it looks like Gitane stopped doing lug lining in 1978 but I remember some of the frames with the newer decals weren't lined from 1974 on.

Very interesting--which bikes weren't lined from 1974? Low or high end? There is lug lining on the original finish of a 1976 Gitane "campagnolo" equipped and top tube labeled bike that must be a Super Corsa--not mine. I've seen this bike only in photos--it's in a collection in Europe and on line that is probably known to you all. That bike also has the honeycomb Huret dropouts, front and rear chrome, and insignia in the seatstay cap, and it has the lug cut outs in Sandranian's bike. Decals are without rainbow stripes. Here's a photo. I can post more of this bike if it's useful or not know to you all.
more photos 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Always room for more photos of gitanes around here.

Is that collection online? Do you have a link?

Cheers

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
[quote="STW"]
verktyg wrote:

Didn't realize they are rare. What years? This Brooks wasn't the one that came on the Gitane--I managed to destroy that one in the rain when I was a kid.

Very interesting--which bikes weren't lined from 1974? Low or high end? There is lug lining on the original finish of a 1976 Gitane "campagnolo" equipped and top tube labeled bike that must be a Super Corsa--not mine. I've seen this bike only in photos--it's in a collection in Europe and on line that is probably known to you all. That bike also has the honeycomb Huret dropouts, front and rear chrome, and insignia in the seatstay cap, and it has the lug cut outs in Sandranian's bike. Decals are without rainbow stripes.

The Brooks Pro that I have with the medium sized rivets is probably from the mid 1990s, It's new in a box marked Brooks, TI and Sturmey Archer.

After 1974, new Gitanes were hard to come by. We scoured the country and bought up all Gitanes we could find. Most of the ones that we got were from the early 1970s.

There were some cheap 1975 and 1976 models that were made in Taiwan. We sold a couple of those but we specialized in mid to high range performance bikes. After the 1973/1974 models (after the switch from foil decals) the better quality Gitanes were not competitively equipped or priced against many other brands available.

Gitane Pacific closed out a lot of bare frames. They were red, blue or green candy apple colors without decals or lug lining. Most of them were Grand Sport with a few Interclubs and even fewer Tour de France frames.

We had Gitane decal sets coming out of our ears. We built the bikes up with appropriate components and sold them as new.

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
CharlesJk8
Looks truly pleasant. I have a NOS Brooks Pro like yours with the medium estimated bolts in addition to a few others with the littler and huge pounded bolts. The medium estimated bolts were presumably made for a year or two.

Taking a gander at the lists, it would appear that Gitane quit doing carry lining in 1978 however I recall a portion of the casings with the more current decals weren't lined from 1974 on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
lucygp
I adapted it to work as a TA triple.

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane