gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane 'Giro d'Italia'
Gitane 'Giro d'Italia' 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The 'Old Gypsy'
Hi,

New to the bike and the forum, has anyone heard of this model which I haven't seen in the GitaneUSA catalogs or anywhere else online?

It's a 56cm SuperVitus 971 double-butted 'Extra Leger' frame and many of the components are Campag Gran Sport from the 1982 Olympic brochure (Nuovo Gran Sport Derailleurs). Other than that, it's Guid bars, MAFAC brakes, Rigida rims, ATOM rear cassette. I believe the hubs to have been changed to Campag Record by the previous owner in order to enable clinchers.

I'd love to know what the original spec might have been, which country the model might have been sold in and also what make/model the stem is.

Any info/insight very welcome.

David
London, England

Giro 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Nice find.

Your bike would have been near the top of Gitane's models back in the early 80s.

Since you're located in the UK it's almost certainly a model made for that market.

In France, a model named Giro d' Italia would be much akin to the annual French celebration of the Italian wine harvest! Laughing

In the US, outside of the Tour de France and maybe the Paris-Roubaix there's been very little exposure to the cycling classics like the Giro d' Italia (Tour of Italy) and Vuelta (Tour of Spain). So, a French bike named for an Italian race would go over like a lead (sic) zeppelin! Confused

The Super Vitus 971 frame is lighter and more supple riding than the production Gitane Reynolds 531 frames made during that time (thinner wall thickness tubes). It should ride and handle great!

Campagnolo GS (Grand Sport) components perform the same as the more expensive Nuovo Record parts but lack the aesthetic finish.

Enjoy.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The 'Old Gypsy'
Thanks for that, Chas.

It hadn't occured to me that calling a French bike a 'Giro d'Italia' might not have gone down so well in France! (I'd been thinking it was perhaps a nod to Hinaults' Giro wins in the early 80's).

For my somewhat limited experience, it does indeed ride and handle great, I'm pretty sure it's a better bike than I am a rider.
I'm definitely enjoying it, thanks. In fact I think I'm a little bit in love.

David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
deomair
it's almost certainly a model made for that market.

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane