gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Old Gitane track frame with rare features
Old Gitane track frame with rare features 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
IRide
Hi everybody,

I am an road bike enthusiast from Germany with a preference for vintage steel bikes (although I ride everything from ancient to brandnew).

A couple of years ago I bought an old Gitane track bike from England on ebay, first intending to use it as my everyday city bike (I now hear the entire community scream in awe, and yes, I also ride fixed gear bikes in the city but prefer a proper road bike for touring).
But once I saw the thing it became obvious that this wasn't going to be wasted as a city bike. Now I want to rebuild it as a true track bike how it's supposed to be.

I am hoping you guys can help me out with some information about the frame and the right components. I checked the site and the rest of the web very thoroughly already and are not really getting any further with it.

The frame doesn't match with anything on the site but is really close to the red frame on the track front page. Only the fork does not match at all. I would estimate it to be from the 60s or maby older. The paint, although well done, and the decals are propably not original and in bad shape. It is built with beautiful Nervex lugs and the fork was drilled. the drilling looks very professional to me and not like some fixie freaks garage job. It has a tin head badge riveted to the head tube and another one (which obviously doesn't belong there) glued to the seat tube. No stamps or numbers or cutouts on the bottom bracket shell. pretty solid steel seat tube binding which is maby original. Very delicate rear stays and drops. It came with a nice old steel track crankset with Sugino bottom bracket (round spindle). A BSA threaded Shimano bracket fits.

Do you have any idea what model this could be?
What would be the right colour and decals for it?
What would be a matching seat post and stem?

I would highly appreciate any help!
Please see the photos:

Thanks alot, hope to hear from you Gitane pros!
1950s Gitane Track Bike 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Willkommen im Forum... Wink

You have a 1950s vintage Gitane track bike. It looks like it's been powder coated with generic decals.

Measuring the seat post is one way to guess what the tubing. Reynolds or other better quality tubing will use a 26.4mm (maybe 26.6mm) seatpost. A 26.2mm seat post may indicate Durifort tubing. Anything smaller means the frame is made from standard gasleitung tubing.

Seatpost clamps are usually tightened too much from using an undersized seatpost. Gently spread the "ears" where the bolt goes through to expand the seat tube to fit the proper sized seatpost. It may need to be rounded out too.

Here's what the decals may have looked like:

Good luck on your project.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
IRide
Thanks verktyg!
and sorry for late replies, having a bit of a time delay over here...

Wow, that's really an old bike. Even more motivated to revive it now! For a 50s bike the geometry is quite cool. It has a very steep head tube and tight spaces between frame and tires. I always thought these very old frames were a bit more "loose".

A 26,6mm seatpost fits in just right so I guess its made of Reynolds tubing.

Now, for a proper restoration I will need more than luck.
The decals are nowhere to be found. I checked cyclemondo and ebay and they are not available. I will end up designing them on my own and spend a lot of money for printing javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
Do you have a hint werde to find more photos of 50s decals?

Reynolds decals are available, but there are very different versions. You posted some in identify my bike - read first. Probably the simple ones with straight letters.

Thanks for now, if anyone comes across useful information please let me know.
I keep you updated on the project.
Old Gitane track frame with rare features 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane