gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Vintage tandem, Flex and weight load?
Vintage tandem, Flex and weight load? 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
northemo
Hi, my first post here as I am a new owner of my first gitane(s). One is a junior racer for my son, the other a tandem, as pictured. I am guessing from past forums, its in that early 70s range? Though this one doesn't have chrome and has Stonglight cranks.

I'm posting I have read some other discussions about these and flex with heavier weights, though I don't think this is the model of concern. But I am wondering if folks out there have experience with these and if so, what (realistically) would be the expected max for total rider weight that would be wise to hit? I'd also be game to know any other advice about fixing this guy up. I've done a couple rebuilds in the past, but this is my first tandem.

ANy advice is much appreciated and happy to have found these forums!
[img]

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
mountaindave
I wish I could say what "max weight" would be. I imagine that the best way to figure that out would be to load it to the failure point. But then you wouldn't be able to ride it any more Wink

Are you planning on doing a tour with it and loading it down with panniers? My wife and I bought one of a similar vintage but with a six-arm cottered crank that looks pretty cheap. Together we top out at about 330 lbs and I can't imagine that being a problem.

-I repacked the hubs with new bearings (the cups and cones were still in good shape!) but haven't attempted a BB repack.
-The rear rim was blown, so I had it replaced (with a period-correct steel rim of course).
-I replaced the brakes all around (except the drum brake - can't imagine how I would find replacement pads for that).
-The one thing I'm not too impressed with is the difficulty adjusting the pads so they fully contact the rim. Those Mafac cantilevers may have been revolutionary at the time, but the design has certainly improved since then. Rolling Eyes
Drum brake reassembly? 
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
northemo
mountaindave wrote:
I wish I could say what "max weight" would be. I imagine that the best way to figure that out would be to load it to the failure point. But then you wouldn't be able to ride it any more Wink

Are you planning on doing a tour with it and loading it down with panniers? My wife and I bought one of a similar vintage but with a six-arm cottered crank that looks pretty cheap. Together we top out at about 330 lbs and I can't imagine that being a problem.

-I repacked the hubs with new bearings (the cups and cones were still in good shape!) but haven't attempted a BB repack.
-The rear rim was blown, so I had it replaced (with a period-correct steel rim of course).
-I replaced the brakes all around (except the drum brake - can't imagine how I would find replacement pads for that).
-The one thing I'm not too impressed with is the difficulty adjusting the pads so they fully contact the rim. Those Mafac cantilevers may have been revolutionary at the time, but the design has certainly improved since then. Rolling Eyes

Hi there, somehow I missed your response post, and thanks for the follow up. I am actually only planning to do a 25 mile charity ride with my father on it, and aside from that it'll be riding with kid and wife on back so weight isnt an issue with them.

Question, I am sure hoping you might be able to help me with-- I broke this down to clean it and stupid, me didnt take pic or make notes on the drum brake assembly. I had to redo the axel since it was bent, and now that I replaced that, I can't get the wheel to work and cant find schematics anywhere on line (or anyone local who has a clue on how to fix).

I didnt brake the drum all the way down, so it is all intact and I can mount it on the bike-- but my issue is that when I tighten the bolts down to lock the axel in the drop out, it clamps the face of the drum brake down onto the drum too tightly and it won't allow the hub to spin. Hope that makes sense. Any chance you have schematics, or pic of how yours assembles when on the bike? Help?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
mountaindave
Here's a shot of the drum-side mounted. It has been a year since I rebuilt the wheel. IIRC, I had to leave the cones a bit loose so the drum would go together properly. I won't have time to break it down and take pictures for quite some time (too many other bikes in the process of being refurbished), but my intuition tells me you've got to loosen a cone on the drum-side to get it to work. It was an odd arrangement.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Fat Tire Trader
I got a similar tandem about 15 years ago. White frame, lady back, fenders, steel rims and cranks, mafac racers and rear drum. I overhauled everything and it became our tandem for my girlfriend and me for several years. We did lots of day rides and one 4 day 200 mile tour. I replaced the Simplex rear derailleur with a Shimano, other than that, everything is stock. Its a little big for me, so I bought a smaller Santana for us to ride. I'm now planning on overhauling it again and putting it up for sale. If you still need help with your drum brake, I might be able to help. I've been a professional bicycle mechanic since 1983. Today I bought another Gitane tandem, this one is for men front and back, its a little smaller, so it fits me good. It has TA cranks and Mafac cantis. This is my first post in the forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
northemo
Fat Tire Trader wrote:
I got a similar tandem about 15 years ago. White frame, lady back, fenders, steel rims and cranks, mafac racers and rear drum. I overhauled everything and it became our tandem for my girlfriend and me for several years. We did lots of day rides and one 4 day 200 mile tour. I replaced the Simplex rear derailleur with a Shimano, other than that, everything is stock. Its a little big for me, so I bought a smaller Santana for us to ride. I'm now planning on overhauling it again and putting it up for sale. If you still need help with your drum brake, I might be able to help. I've been a professional bicycle mechanic since 1983. Today I bought another Gitane tandem, this one is for men front and back, its a little smaller, so it fits me good. It has TA cranks and Mafac cantis. This is my first post in the forum.

Hi, yeah, I still totally need to figure out this drum brake. Your bike sounds just like mine, and my drum is just like the one posted in the pic above. The issue came up after I tried to overhaul the bike. the rear axel was bent, I disassembled it, put in a new (new-salvage one), repacked bearings, changed cones, etc... and the problem is I cant figure out how to keep the drum face spaced enough from the actual drum, when I tighten the nuts on the axel when installing the tire. The mechanics of it work just fine when lose (the brake engages the clamp, compresses against the pads, etc...) but when I tighten it down, the face of the drum compresses against the hub to the point the wheel wont even turn. I suspect I'm missing a spacer or something, but not sure. I can take some pics of the inside of it set up, etc... or whatever, but yeah, I am at a loss! Any help would be hugely appreciated. thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Fat Tire Trader
This is a good reason for me to start that project. It will take me a week to get to it. Take some pics of what you have and I'll take some pics of the way it is on my bike.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
northemo
Fat Tire Trader wrote:
This is a good reason for me to start that project. It will take me a week to get to it. Take some pics of what you have and I'll take some pics of the way it is on my bike.

Fantastic, will do tomorrow. thank you!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
mountaindave
Missing spacer is just what I thought of as I read your post. I put my money on that.
Vintage tandem, Flex and weight load? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane