gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Paraffin for chains
Paraffin for chains 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
mountaindave
I went ahead and tried a paraffin dip for a new chain on my '88 Specialized Sirrus because I ride it on dirt roads and it got the oil terribly dirty and gunky. I had heard mixed reviews about it, but I have to say that I am fairly impressed so far. I put it on last fall, rode it about 40 miles. Rode it another 50 last weekend and it hasn't squeaked a bit. It also had no rust whatsoever sitting over the winter in the garage.

I got a small (2 quart?) crock pot, melted down a bar of regular old paraffin, soaked the chain for about five minutes, then hung it above the crock pot to drip and cool.

I have one of those SRAM P-link chains (quick disconnect links) and I had to clean the linkages out a bit to get them to go together. I had to clean off a bit of excess paraffin that flaked off, but once I did that, it has worked great.

I also love not having a dirty chain, cassette, and chainrings. Keeps me cleaner as well. Wink To be fair, I haven't tried dusty dirt roads yet...

Anyone else tried paraffin?

MD

BTW - Shimano Hyperglide SIS is the best darned indexed shifting system I have EVER owned. Granted, I haven't tried everything yet, but I sure love Hyperglide! Why the heck did they change things? Plus, when the cogs wear out, you can just flip'em over and use the other side!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:43 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Years ago I tried a parafin-like lubricant. I think it was "White Lightning" or some such stuff. I thought it was great at first, but then it turned goopy and difficult to deal with. I went back to good-old Tri-Flo.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
mountaindave
That's why chose the dip method. Once it cools down it's solid and not goopy at all.

I chose a crockpot, but you could just as easily used an old tin can or a pan from the thrift store to melt the paraffin in.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I just found it got too messy and was too difficult to clean again. It was nice at first though.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
mountaindave
We'll see how it goes cleaning the paraffin chain when it needs it. I had heard the same information about white lightning that you did which is why I avoided it. Supposedly it didn't hold up well in rain. The paraffin hasn't had a full workout in a a true downpour yet, so I'll report back when that happens.
Paraffin for chains 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane