gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Very stiff old saddle
Very stiff old saddle 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Cary1
Got a question. I had received a Ideale 90 from a old friend last year. It was not in bad shape, needed a series clean up! Cleaned up, and installed it on my 72 TDF. Rode probably 300 miles on it, and that is a stiff saddle!!!

The question I have, is there a way to make the leather a little more supple, or could give a little while riding. I have used saddle soap, and used Brooks proofide several applications. It is a beautiful saddle, but if I cannot do anything about, it is not enjoyable to ride on, even with cycling bib shorts.

Thank you.

75 Suburban
09 Sirrus
10 Hardrock disc
11 Sectuer Sport

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
txmnjim
i'm dealing with a very stiff saddle as well. hope it turned out well for you? i'm just going to find a new one...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
An Ideale 90 is stiff leather, and I think proofide and saddle time are the ways to make it adjust to your anatomy. Some people love this kind of saddle, and others find modern saddles, which have thin leather (or in cheap saddles plastic) over a plastic form with usually a little padding in between. Txmnjim, I think you have the latter and if it isn't comfortable it probably won't get much better, although there may be a little breaking in even in this kind of saddle. There's also the factor of your butt getting used to being on a saddle.

You basically have to find what works for you, but you can improve the odds with a little knowledge:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
You want a saddle that's wide enough for you sit bones. How to measure them and find a saddle that fits:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/433482-how-to-determine-the-width-of-a-bicycle-seat/
I also spent some time a couple of years ago looking at forums and reviews, and ended up getting, in addition to a leather Ideale for my Gitane, a Selle Italia Turbomatic (IIRC Stephan's favorite) and San Marco Squadra. I find both comfortable.
beton 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
This saddle will never change shape unless you beat it with a sledge hammer. Your rear end will adapt. I actually went to the old factory and met the grandson of this dead "saddle empire" and saw some pieces of cut leather before forming and was told that the thickness could vary slightly but never the less, very very thick. The saddles I saw were nearly 50 years old and still hard as a rock.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
txmnjim
[quote="vanhelmont"]An Ideale 90 is stiff leather, and I think proofide and saddle time are the ways to make it adjust to your anatomy. Some people love this kind of saddle, and others find modern saddles, which have thin leather (or in cheap saddles plastic) over a plastic form with usually a little padding in between. Txmnjim, I think you have the latter and if it isn't comfortable it probably won't get much better, although there may be a little breaking in even in this kind of saddle. There's also the factor of your butt getting used to being on a saddle."

thanks VH. i think you are correct, with the main issue i'm having now is my butt needing to get use to the saddle...its been many years since my riding days Wink

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane