gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Serviced my Freewheel
Serviced my Freewheel 
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
mnjack82
My wife bought this bike in the mid 70s... used, at a police auction. She changed the handlebars shortly after she bought it. I have used it for casual riding (note the seat is too high for my wife to ride it) for the past 10 years or so, ever since my younger son "stole" my vintage Fuji S-10-S.

So I was riding this bike not too long ago when the rear sprocket just came off. When I screwed it back on again it wobbled and clunked (I didn't realize that when it fell off all the ball bearings fell out). As I researched the issue of fixing it, I learned that freewheels are not serviceable and are cheap to replace. I also learned that the cheap replacements have gotten lousy reviews, plus I couldn't find a replacement that I was confident would fit, as the 5 gear freewheel is quite narrow.

So I ordered a packet of 100 1/8" ball bearings for $4.95 (free shipping, no tax) and I was able to place them both inside and outside on the freewheel with a little grease, lubed it with gear oil, closed everything up and it works as good as new... Nice and smooth pedaling, no clunking, no wobbling. Sorry I didn't get pics of the actual ball bearing install.

replacement freewheel 
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
I have purchased and used several freewheels from interloc racing designs. I have been very pleased with their performance. They carry 5,6,and seven speed freewheels starting at about $54.00. You can check it out here if you like. http://store.interlocracing.com/fr76and5sp.html

Also, I think with your seat that high that frame is most likely too small for you,
Serviced my Freewheel 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane