gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Parts search for 1959-63 Gitane Touring 10 speed
Parts search for 1959-63 Gitane Touring 10 speed 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ancient Islander
Bought this bike brand new from Central Hardware in Takoma Park, Md in 1963. Could have been in a warehouse for a couple of years before sale. Has the number 13-376 stamped on the bottom of the chassis. Need bearings & possibly cups for the rear hub. No markings on hub; RIGIDA 27 X 1 1/4 stamped on rim. Any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Welcome, Ancient Islander

If you can, post pictures of your bike and hub.

If there's an old bike shop in your area, become a customer. Go in some time other than Saturday morning so they aren't busy. Buy your tires, tubes, cables, lubes, bearings, etc. there. Bearings should be easy. Just get enough for the race. Don't try reusing part of the old ones even if they look good. All new ones will be the same size. Then when you need cups or some odd part they may be able to find something in their junk box.

Dave
Parts search for 59-63 Gitane Touring 10 speed 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ancient Islander
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the prompt reply. The 'old' bike shop on this island is run by a youngish and fairly superior type who was not the least bit thrilled about dealing with a Septuagenarian riding an antique FRENCH(!) bike, even though I was polite and respectful. The counter man was far more tolerant and was happy to at least find me a tire, tube and rim band that fit my wheel. The wheel rotates relatively smoothly, though I perceive a graininess in the action that makes me not too enthusiastic to run the thing at speed down some of our steeper hills. Was hoping to get specs on the bearings and cups before I pull the hub apart. Will send pics of bike and hub later- don't have any downloaded right now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Islander,

If your bearings feel grainy,by all means tear them down, clean, and lube. Cups and cones for a 50-year-old bike will be hard to replace, but if kept clean and lubed will last a long time. Bearings,on the other hand, just come in a few sizes that pretty much any bike shop will have. Correct me, Chas,if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are special bearing sizes for French bikes.

If it hasn't been done, lube your hubs, bottom bracket, and headset. (Do you have cottered cranks? That makes working on the bb tricky) I even do pedals. If you take off the dust cap, you take a nut off the end of the spindle and the whole thing comes apart. I usually don't take the spindle off the crank, but it's easier when the crank is off the bike. Some people say pedals aren't worth the time, but they aren't dealing with 50-year-old French thread pedals.

While you are at it,take a look at the "wobbly freewheel" thread below and lube your freewheel, too.

Dave
Parts search for 1959-63 Gitane Touring 10 speed 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane