gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Bent axle: advice?
Bent axle: advice? 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
Pontivy
In the process of overhauling the hubs on my TdF I have noticed the rear axle is slightly bent - a result I suspect of being misaligned in the dropouts.

Not wanting to destroy the bearing cups in my lovely Normandy hubs I need a new axle. One of the cones is pitted anyway.

I've exhausted all my LBSs and ebay doesn't seem to have any.

Is it possible use a non Maillard/Normandy replacement axle providing it's the right size - (being 120mm?)

I've read that campy Nuovo Record or Shimano will fit but wonder if anyone on here has any experience in this area.

Last edited by Pontivy on Fri May 06, 2011 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

1973 Gitane Tour de France.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
Pontivy
Mike,

PM'd you.

Thanks.

Pete.

Normandy Hubs 
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Early Gitane Tour de France bikes came with Normandy Luxe Competition hubs. Around 1971 or 72 Gitane switched to Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo hubs with the round holes.

It was most likely caused by supply problems during the Bike Boom of the early 70s. Also Peugeot used the same Normandy Luxe Competition hubs on their PX-10 model bikes and maybe had more pull with Normandy.

Normandy Luxe Competition hubs

Campy Nuovo Tipo hubs

The Normandy Luxe Competition hubs are easy to identify. They don't have removable dust caps around the axles. This makes access to the bearings a lot more work. They also have a gold foil sticker around the center of the hub. They were decent hubs, better quality that Campy Nuovo Tipos.

Campagnolo used bastardo (Italian for bastard) sized threads on their hub axles:

Front 9mm x 26 TPI
Rear 10mm x 26 TPI

That's metric diameters with inch pitch threads. (TPI = Threads Per Inch) Rolling Eyes

French hub axles were all metric dimensioned.

Front 9mm x 1.0mm Pitch
Rear 9.5mm or 10mm x 1.0mm pitch

Standard Normandy hubs have removable dust covers. Axles and cones for those are still available.

Normandy Sport Hubs

I don't remember if Normandy Luxe Competition rear hubs used 9.5mm or 10mm axles. I have a number of those hubs. I'll have to measure them tomorrow.

The 120mm call out is the OLN measurement which is Over Lock Nut dimension or how wide the dropouts are. The actual axle length is around 130mm to 135mm long.

Axles that will fit are still available. Even back in the 70s, cones for these hubs were impossible to find. They have a very steep, almost straight angle on the bearing face and they have an odd sized diameter.

Wheels Manufacturing sells replacement axles and cones. You can view their catalog online.

http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/780/1/

Hope this helps a little.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Somehow turned into a quote instead of an an edit... Embarassed

Last edited by verktyg on Sat May 07, 2011 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Pontivy
Chas,

That reply helps more than a little. I'd say it's a definitive resource for anyone confronted with the same problem.

My hubs are stamped 72 - which fits in with your dates (and your age estimate for my TdF).

I wasn't aware of the difference between the Standard and Competition models in terms of internals - thanks for pointing that out.

I love the look of these hubs and I'm determined to keep them rolling.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Replacement cones 
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Pete,

Do you have the Luxe Competition hubs or Sport hubs?

If you have the Competition hubs you might be able to find some replacement cones that have a similar outside diameter and length.

If the OD on the replacement cone is a little too small, you can use a rubber O-ring on the cone to keep dirt out of the bearings. You could also use a few rubber bands or a pipe cleaner.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
mountaindave
Reviving this old thread...

I've visited the above link, but nothing looks even close to what the Normandy cones looked like. Went to the LBS and they didn't have anything in their nooks or crannies. They did seem to think that the Luxe Competition hubs used different cones than most other Normandy hubs... yea. So not only are they different because they're French, but they are unique in the world of french hubs!

So the question is this, what style of cones have people used to substitute for the originals?

What they told me was to find a cone that allows the bearings to run in about the middle of the pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
zhulin
mountaindave wrote:
Reviving this old thread...

I've visited the above link, but nothing looks even close to what the Normandy cones looked like. Went to RS 3 Gold the LBS and they didn't have anything in their nooks or crannies. They did seem to think that the Luxe Competition hubs used different cones than most other Normandy hubs... yea. So not only are they different because they're French, but they are unique in the world of french hubs!

So the question is this, what style of cones have Buy Fifa 13 Coins people used to substitute for the originals?

What they told me was to find a cone that allows the bearings to run in about the middle of the pitch.

I like your post very much,it seems that it is very kind of you.would you be my friend,hope your response. How to buy cheap rs gold ? You can have a clear process at http://www.solorsgold.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
verktyg
zhulin wrote:
I like your post very much,it seems that it is very kind of you.would you be my friend,hope your response. How to buy cheap rs gold ? You can have a clear process at http://www.solorsgold.com/

HEY SPAMMER... GO RIDE A BIKE! Evil or Very Mad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional