gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » last two bikes
last two bikes 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
lofter
heres the last two bikes I bought

88 team replica forum member kongoken picked up for me Wink
its supposed to have c record and delta brakes but came with a hodge podge of parts on it . 753 tubing, c record headset and bb mavic hubs a ssc rim ,mavic brazeon fr derailleur ,and mavic (modolo ) brakes, campy 9 speed brifters and rear derailleur. cinelli 1r stem and critbars. and 84 campy sr cranks and time pedals.

the second bike is a 86 team replica I think. I got it from forum member bir hakeim Very Happy Gitane had offered this bike to a guy who was a organizer of a sporting event (perhaps the Triathlon de Paris. ) it has the victory groupset belleri bars and stem ,531p tubing and mavic gp4 rims.

a big thanks goes out to both gitane forum members.
Jealous 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter, what can I say, I'm jealous! Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I'd like to get one of those "bumble bee" team replicas like yours or even better a "pinto pony" black and white team bike.

Keeping up with the Jones's or should I say lofter, here's my latest:

1984 Team Pro on the first test ride... almost done. I threw some old clinchers on it for now. Have to put on the seat tube decals, new French Columbus decals, bar tape and the new sewup wheels I'm building.

I'm convinced that the frame is Columbus KL not SL tubing. It's lighter than my Reynolds 753 and Super Vitus 980 bikes... and the ride, all I can say is WOW!!!

BTW, lofter, I'm thinking that your blue bike may be a little newer than 1986. It has a 1987 S3 version Campy Victory rear derailleur plus those early "bumble bee" Gitane decals??? Confused

Also, the cranks are the last generation Campy Super Record models ca 1987. Someone probably switched them out with the original Victory cranks.

Those side pull Modolo/MAFAC brakes work very well. I grind about 1mm off of the brakes pads to get to soft rubber. I used the MAFAC side pull brakes made by Modolo on my 84 Team Pro. They WORK!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
ruet0732
Hello,

I'm jealous too. But I'm a bit happy, that they are not my size. I would be even more jealous.

@Chas. Is it possible that the brake-pads of the Modolo/MAFAC rear-brakes are reverse? I'don't know the modolo-brakes, but for me it looks somehow wrong?

Big thanks for all the knowledge.

ben
Re: Jealous 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
lofter
verktyg wrote:

BTW, lofter, I'm thinking that your blue bike may be a little newer than 1986. It has a 1987 S3 version Campy Victory rear derailleur plus those early "bumble bee" Gitane decals???

I've tried to figure this out , the 85 year ,the top end is the professional like yours , the 87 year its the same bubble decals like my team pro with brake cables under the top tube not on top like this bike . its the same 531p tho. But this bike the forks are chromed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
scozim
Wow lofter!! What an add to your collection. Thanks for sharing.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
verktyg
ruet0732 wrote:
@Chas. Is it possible that the brake-pads of the Modolo/MAFAC rear-brakes are reverse? I'don't know the modolo-brakes, but for me it looks somehow wrong?
ben

Ben,

There are arrows in the metal brake block carriers on the MAFAC version of these brakes. They are called the LS2 model brakes.

This is a better picture of the arrow on a Bertin:

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Jealous 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
I've tried to figure this out , the 85 year ,the top end is the professional like yours , the 87 year its the same bubble decals like my team pro with brake cables under the top tube not on top like this bike . its the same 531p tho. But this bike the forks are chromed.

According to the 1985-86 US catalog (in the Catalogue Section) Gitane used the same specs and (ugly) "printing dot" graphics on the down tube for both years. The 1986 French catalog shows the same thing.

I have a 1985-86 Professionnel with a Campy Victory gruppo and a Reynolds 531C (Competition) frame and chrome fork.

Here's another frame that I bought that had been used by a Cycles de France (Trek/Gitane) sponsored team in the midwest. The seller said that all of the Gitane decals were removed from their team bikes after Cycles de France support was dropped.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a 58cm frame which was too big for me. Luckily I was able to trade it for my 55cm 1984 Team Pro frame. Very Happy

Gitane (and all of the other French makers) made so many different models for specific markets during the 1980s it's hard to tell the exact year of your blue bike.

You might want to check the serial number on the BB.

Bare 58cm frame that I traded:

Complete 50cm bike:

Just for comparison, my 1984 Team Pro showing 55cm and a 12-03-84 mfg date. this is one of the few Gitane "serial numbers" that makes any sense.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
lofter - you never disappoint. You are truly the top dog of this forum. Your dedication and knowledge is second to none - thanks for sharing your treasures!

I'd love to see a group shot of all your bikes. I'm sure it would be impressive!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
lofter
I will do a video of my garage after I do some serious cleanup. im going to paint the floors in the Renault elf stripes an systeme u stripes.im not trying to be top dog or compete with no one. I just really like gitanes . some people have other hobbies mine is collecting gitanes. the blue bike ive had for awhile just never posted it.i have 18 various gitanes . my want is to have the top gitane from every year in blue .the newer bikes will have to wait tho im going 1990 and back. ill have to have chas help me or someone with knowledge of the 70s and back because im lost when it gets back that way.my delta and profile I keep in the house Wink

I still want the roasilie , the car roasilie, the 4 seat tandem , I need a regular tandem , the side car tandem , the pontoon bike and the ski bike and a few more track frames . also a Lejeune , roger rivere, a Renault frame , the ones gitane made. I see stuff on French sites sometimes , but I don't speak a lick so its hard to communicate ,and translate sites make it even more of a mess sometimes., which is sad because it goes with my hobby. I watched a ton of jerseys ,hats and stuff go by on ebay but just didn't have the cash to throw down. it just has to happen at the right time for it to work.

my wife asked me what would I do with all this stuff If I died ? I don't know, someone is going to get a good grab I guess. my garage will be one of those places you read about where u open up the door and find a bike every square inch lol. but it will be gitanes. Wink just think, a little town in the middle of the states surrounded by corn and bean fields half way around the world from where they came from. I even read up on going to marcheol , not that there is anything there except the old factory, but it would be cool to go and maybe even meet and talk to some of the folks who worked there. if I could speak french Laughing

chas is the bike professor here , he has so much knowledge it blows me away. he is a great valuable forum member. I cant even scratch the surface of what he knows. he is amazing. I am glad u enjoy my bikes I post . and I will post links to bikes elsewhere so others can maybe buy also . although maybe I might have to delete some post after the ads expire because there will be no more pic up , so the post kinda becomes irrelevant. anyway thanks for the kudos and thanks to everybody here for being apart of my life and hobby . later for now...don

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
just think, a little town in the middle of the states surrounded by corn and bean fields...

If you build it, they will come! Laughing

lofter wrote:
chas is the bike professor here...

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Just so everyone knows, it's not an ego thing with me, I'm like lofter, I love bikes! Very Happy

I'm blown away with lofter's collection of Gitanes. I only have 13 of them (but I do have quite a few other French bikes). Wink

I'm pushing 70 and I want to share what I know before I forget it all.... Confused

Passing the baton... Twisted Evil

BTW, I did a brisk 33 mile break-in ride this afternoon on my just completed 1984 Team Pro. Cool

Pictures to follow in a new message.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
lofter

heres the bb# off the blue bike.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:

heres the bb# off the blue bike.

Looks like you have some good Loto numbers.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

My 84 Team Pro has what appears to be the mfg. date (12 3 84) and size (55) that's about the only Gitane number I've seen that makes any sense. Confused

Many of the mid 80s bikes that I've seen have had "cereal" numbers starting with the letter "E".

You blue bike starts with "G"... so it could be later say 1988??? Also those bumble bee decals look more like the 87 decals that the 88s in the catalogs???

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Shoot, I've only got one 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
gmany
Just one plain old white 70 or 71 Tdf.

On the other hand, I only buy bikes that fit. Since I'm short, that means I only look for 50-53cm, depending on fit.
Oh, and I don't have a lot of fun money anymore.

I guess those are the reasons I've only got one. Maybe I'll manage to get another one, someday. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
NebraskaGuy
I'm still in a lifelong relationship with my '77 Interclub. I'm short on fun money, too. If you have a good thing, don't mess with it. But I would sure like to find an Interclub or TdF for the wife. Maybe a tandem, too.

Come to think of it, I frequently wish I still had the car I owned back in '77 But that's a different story.

I envy the guys like Lofter and Chas who have a whole fleet of cool rides. But I'm just happy to be along for the ride . . .

Ah! To feel the wind in my hair . . .
last two bikes 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane