gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1989 official team bike or 1990 TEAM REPLICA
1989 official team bike or 1990 TEAM REPLICA 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
bobdimi
I am looking for input on whether this is a 1990 TEAM REPLICA or an actual 1989 or 1990 team issued bike. The frame was purchased in 1989 or 1990 from a San Francisco pro shop and i was told the frame was traded for some parts or inventory.

As described in the 1990 brochure for the TEAM REPLICA this frame is Vitus GTI triple butted frame with Vitus GTI forged sloping fork, braze on race hanger and internal rear brake. This frame came with Campagnolo tips and stays, Campagnolo C Record BB and head-set. The TEAM REPLICA came with Sachs Huret. Also, the catalog TEAM REPLICA shows a white paint rear triangle, my frame has a chrome rear triangle.

The serial numbers on the bottom brackets are 58 89 (58cm 1989), 959 4677, UY.

So is this an original team issued bike as the shop claimed when orginally purchased or a TEAM REPLICA. Does the 1989 serial number and "UY" refer to any team member?

Thank you in advance for any input. And, this is a great bike in great shape.

Last edited by bobdimi on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
bobdimi
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19278543@N00/9100996517/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19278543@N00/9103228688/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19278543@N00/9103232424/in/photostream/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
lofter
Here's what I found with the catalogs and u can see it in the 84 us catalog , the bike in the us catalog (replica team pro ) it says was same as used in the 83 worlds . and when I go back and look at the 83 tour in the magazines its the same bike. . so the bike in the 84 catalog is the replica of the 83 season bike. The 90 catalog says replica which to me would be a 89 year replica , but you have to remember that gitane didn't have a pro team in 89 . fignon rode the super u colors that looked like the previous year systeme u team which was a gitane team . super u actually rode Raleigh's the year fignon lost to lemond by eight seconds in the 89 tour. The next pro team gitane sponsored was rmo which I think was 91. They did provide the Toshiba team with some bikes in 88 also.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
lofter
I just went back and looked at the racing page on this site and it says gitane sponsored Toshiba in 89 and histor in 90 so I'm going to look in the mags to see .sorry about that.
Re: 1989 official team bike or 1990 TEAM REPLICA 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
bobdimi wrote:
As described in the 1990 brochure for the TEAM REPLICA this frame is Vitus GTI triple butted frame with Vitus GTI forged sloping fork, braze on race hanger and internal rear brake. This frame came with Campagnolo tips and stays, Campagnolo C Record BB and head-set. The TEAM REPLICA came with Sachs Huret. Also, the catalog TEAM REPLICA shows a white paint rear triangle, my frame has a chrome rear triangle

"caractéristiques sujet au changement sans préavis"

(specifications subject to change without notice)

Disregard any specs you might find in ANY European bicycle catalog or flyer...

Reality is just a starting point! Laughing

Gitane, Peugeot, Motobecane, Raleigh, Bianchi and other European bike makers produced different models (sometimes with the same name) for different markets.

For example, French manufactures usually pushed French made components on their models made for their domestic market.

Think: The French Celebration of the Italian Wine Harvest!

Bikes made for the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Eastern Europe and so on were likely to have different components.

Bianchi and other Italian marques rarely used anything French!

French bikes "Don't get no respect", especially among the raceur cognoscenti! Crying or Very sad

Tony still runs Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito, CA...

http://www.bicycleodyssey.com/

He's a pretty straight shooter. If he said that's what the frame was then I wouldn't question him. Wink

You can call him some weekday afternoon and he may remember the details.

On the other hand, "George Washington, Napoleon, Charlemagne or who ever, slept here" kinds of provenance are common in the Pro bike arena! Rolling Eyes

I have several frames that were probably team issue. It really has no effect on the ride or handling, just the vanity! Wink

You have a rare bike enjoy it!

BTW, I check the frame alignment on all of the frames or bikes that I acquire.

Almost all of my French frames or bikes no matter the price range were better aligned than ANY of the "sacred" big name Italian frames I own! Evil or Very Mad

Things are not always as they seem, and... don't believe everything you think! Twisted Evil

Remember, The French never copied anyone and no one copied the French! Shocked Crying or Very sad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
lofter
never mind me I totally misunderstood and obviously cant read either Laughing Laughing carry on listen to verktyg his knows his stuff Wink
Pinto Pony 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
never mind me I totally misunderstood and obviously cant read either Laughing Laughing

That's what happens when you get up too early! Wink

BTW, where's wisey?

lofter wrote:
...carry on listen to verktyg his knows his stuff Wink

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Beautiful bike! Cool

Too bad (or good thing) it's not my size or else I'd be trying to talk bobdimi out of it! Wink

I've missed several of those cheval peint or poney de pinto Gitanes online... Crying or Very sad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
lofter
I haven't seen wisely on here forever, always liked him , he had a great sense of humor too. Alot of them use the Facebook site I seen him over there but not as of late also . I know he was doing some studies . heck Stephan hardly post here anymore either. I think he's pissed at me for snagging that 88 team pro Very Happy I know he's been on vacation a little and is going to France in a little bit. Heck I can't even get him to answer my pm's back . maybe he's just busy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

Bobdini,
I think that you have it narrowed down as much as I could. That 1990 catalogue is a French domestic one. The Team Replica for that year may have been sold elsewhere, but not in the U.S., to the best of my knowledge. Those numbers and letters on the bottom bracket could be significant. Therefore, the gent in the shop might be right. As you said, the velo is clearly, at a minimum, a Team Replica. Team bikes were raced by the Belgian Histor-Sigma squad in 1990. Roche made second at Paris-Nice in 1990 (I believe) and Herman Frison won at Ghent in that year. There is a nice photo of Maassen leading Holm and eventual winner Frison in the April 23, 1990 edition of Velo News.

Like the Team Replica, the actual Histor team bikes were equipped with Sachs-Huret, therefore, should be, essentially, identical to the Team Replica. Like yours, the rear triangle appears to be, also, painted white, except for the lower and rear portions respectively, which are chromed. One caveat: The Team also rode a Gitane-Vitus Carbone-Sachs model, one which, to the best of my knowledge, was never officially marketed by Gitane, France! Maybe this is like Higgs-Boson and other mysteries: The objective truth exists, but we just do not know what it is. I just wanted to fill in a few details. I wish that this fine velo was sold stateside. I would have snapped one up immediately.
Best,
Peter H.
Cadre plongeant 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
http://www.troc-velo.com/velo-route-piste-gitane-1-1-909034.htm

same frame but in track bike.
1989 official team bike or 1990 TEAM REPLICA 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane