gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » OK boys, what have I bought?
OK boys, what have I bought? 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
OK boys, (and girls - do we have any?) what have I bought? You may have seen it already on ebay. We don't get many this old in Aust. In fact, I have never seen a Gitane that is earlier than the 1985 models, of which I have three. So this green machine is the new addition to the family. I've compared it to everything in the catalogues page, but no matches. Any ideas? I hope to have a better idea when I collect it, but that will be a week or two. It's about 5 - 6000 km away. Hope it likes long bus rides. Cheers.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Still not much of an idea 
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hi everyone,

Well the new pony arrived today. I still don't really know what it is. The cranks, BB, and wheels don't appear to be original as they are very early Shimano 600. Nice 3 pin crank though. I have a suspicion it is (or similar to) the Paris-Nice in the '74 catalogue. It has the same chrome sections, the tips & cable guides look right, it has the braze on fitting for a tail light on the left rear stay, and if you look closely at the catalogue there are little (cable?) guides on the underside of the down tube. The derailleurs are wrong though. Mine has simplex not huret. If they had been replaced/upgraded, you'd expect shimano like the cranks, or suntour more than simplex. But they're probably the right vintage to be original. The wheels are shimano hubs with ukai rims. Probably not original. The stem is different to the Paris-Nice too. Mine appears to be an earlier/cheaper stem. If anyone knows of anything similar, let me know? Cheers.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
OK boys, what have I bought? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane