gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 50 Years of Gitane ownership
50 Years of Gitane ownership 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
BrianU
I've been around the forum for a while, but have only been reading, not posting. I figured it was about time to contribute, so here I go.

As the title post indicates, I've been a Gitane owner for (nearly) 50 years. I was a part of the group from Roosevelt High School in Minneapolis who bought several dozen Gitane Hostelers in late 1963 in preparation for spending the summer of 1964 in Europe. There were several different groups--I was with German teacher Norm Delin's group of 15--8 girls and 7 guys.

I kept the Hosteler for a number of years, but in 1973 I had been married for a few years and wanted my wife to be able to go on rides with me so I went to Wheel Goods on Hennepin Avenue in South Minneapolis and bought 2 new Gitane Professional Tour De France models. I believe hers was a 21" frame while mine was a 25" frame (I guess you'd call the 63 or 64 cm today). It was a lot of money ($750 for the two of them), but I guess you could say I never regretted buying my new TDF because I still have it 40 years later (can't say the same about her, though).

I've kept the bike mostly original. The rear derailleur broke around 1975 so I upgraded to a Suntour. I also replaced the saddle a few years back, but I do have the original leather one.

Unfortunately my riding days may be over--severe arthritis makes it really difficult to ride. Maybe 50 years of riding Gitanes is all one can expect?

Anyway, I know you'll want to see my baby, so here are some photos. I have more, but I guess I'll leave it at these for now.

Brian Underdahl, Northern Nevada

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Nice bike! I hope you can find a way to control the arthritis so you can ride it. My wife started using coconut oil a year or two ago and although that wasn't her main purpose it seems to have reduced the arthritis pain she was having. I just looked at this on livestrong and their section on arthritis pain isn't clear to me (it seems that it helps rats and research is onging) but it's a good description of other health benefits.

So was that a Nuovo Record rear derailleur you broke? They're supposed to be pretty indestructable. Anyway you upgraded to Suntour, so that's good.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
BrianU
I don't honestly remember what the original derailleur was. Simplex, maybe? I recall it being plastic. One of the arms snapped and the unit folded into the spokes as I was going about 30 mph. Boy, did that stop me fast! Had a number of miles to walk home carrying the bike.

I wish it was just pain--I can control that (mostly). I'm on several meds and am even in a clinical trial, but I may not be able to ride regardless.

Brian

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
OK, I was looking at your Campy skewer, and I guess Record hub, and thinking it was a Campy-equiped bike except the brakes. Yes, Tour de France would have been plastic Simplex. That must have been exciting!

Dave
1972-73 TdF 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune... Crying or Very sad

Your TdF is about a 1972 or 73 model. They came with mid range Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo hubs and Simplex Criterium derailleurs.

Last edited by verktyg on Tue May 28, 2013 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
bikenutz
thanks for posting the story and pics of your bike. she's a beauty. it's very helpful to see see an unmolested survivor. Very Happy

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane