gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » LeMond's top 5
LeMond's top 5 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Introduction: Gerard Vroomen (Cervelo founder) has recently launched a new online cycling magazine called 2r. I believe it is only downloadable from iTunes to an iPad, but someone else may be able to tell us how to get access if you don't use those particular brands.

Disclosure: I have no connection with any of these people or brands. This is not an advertisement.

To the point: In the first edition of this magazine, there is an extended interview of LeMond by Paul Kimmage. In the interview, LeMond is asked to put aside all personal issues and give his top 5 pick from a purely sporting perspective. This is Greg's call:

1. Hinault
2. Kelly
3. Fignon
4. Hampsten
5. Mottet

Assuming that Greg rates himself somewhere among those names, there is a big Renault-Gitane presence in that list.

Not sure I agree that they are the best of all time though.... Certainly, he's on the money if we ask for the best of the 80's.

What do others think?

The interview is a good read aside from this little exercise. LeMond fans should enjoy it.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
I'm the biggest LeMond fan there is and... I don't own an i-pad. Any advice on how I can access this ITW is welcome.

About this top 5. I agree this is the 80's dream list. I'd rank Greg just between Hinault and Kelly. I think he had the biggest engine but lacked ambition and initiative sometimes.

What I'd like to point out in that top 5 is the 2 younger riders : Mottet and Hampsten. If you consider they were clean in the 90's they're probably the ones who suffered the most from EPO. Remember Mottet was 2nd in that Giro Bugno won in 1990 and Hampsten (aside that marvelous 1988 Giro) made it to 4th place in the 1992 TDF. This might very well be the strongest race from a clean athlete considering how juiced most of the others were...

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
It must have been a list of the best of his contemporaries?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
He was asked for his top 5 of all time, but you know Greg.... why answer a question directly, when you can tell a damn good story instead? Wink

He was specifically asked about Roche & Delgado and he said no, he couldn't list people for whom he has no respect. Ouch. Shocked

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
nicolas
I guess Merckx enters the same category as Delgado & Roche. Guilty by association, i suppose.

www.greglemondfan.com
LeMond's top 5 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane