gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1962(?) Gitane
1962(?) Gitane 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:35 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
This link was sent to me...and you should check out this beautiful Gitane.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=286513

Regarding 1960's Gitanes, I scanned a great article from CycleSport from May of 2005, which talks about Tommy Simpsons 1961 Gitane, on which he won the Tour of Flanders. Unfortunately, it was restored... albeit "faithfully", whatever that means!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
buzz
hi mr. andranian,

i just register to log in and to introduce myself. i am the third owner of the 1962 gitane competition bike. i did e-mail you recently. i thank you for replying to answer my question with your kind words so quickly. after hearing your advice AGAINST restoring then i agree with you 100%. i will keep the original for history.

however i felt guilt like i am criminal for replacing a new brake pads, housing, cable, brooks leather bar tapes, NOS leather straps, NOS bar end plug, NOS brake lever 1/2 hoods. i also replace brooks swallow saddle for riding so i can save my original black ideale saddle in storage to prevent from worn out. forgive me that i am lame to make brooks honey saddle and bar tape to make gitane's lime color look so hot.

i also have original brake pads but bicycle mechanic accidently threw away the nuts parts for brake pads and white cracked housing. hope this parts will not harm the history? Crying or Very sad

pulleys show no teeth & smooth circle for derailleurs rear

i remove this original black ideale seat from my gitane bike in order to keep it from worn out. i use new honey brooks swallow saddle on the gitane bike for a while until i get my dream pista/track bike next year then i will put the original black ideale saddle back on gitane bike and brooks saddle on pista/track bike.

i had to remove this rack because it caused to destroy the painting. keep it in storage.

of course, i will give you better pictures of close up on the details for posting on your site! i will try to ask my brother-in-law (second owner) if he can get the original owner, raymond to give me an interview what is story behind his first bike. should i get a picture of raymond that he is a man of honuor to own this bike since 1962 as first owner?

please feel free to throw me your any guestions so i can ask raymond thru my brother-in-law since they both are good friends. fyi, i am deaf so i am unable to communicate with them in person but e-mail will do fine for me to communicate with my brother-in-law.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
First, welcome to the forum! I hope you take some time to read through some of the posts which interest you...and that you will check back in often. As the owner of one of the prettiest Gitane's I have ever seen, you are certainly welcome and get a lifetime free membership! Of course...the forum is free, but if it did cost anything, your's would be gratis!

Regarding the replacement parts, I don't blame you at all. The saddle and new tape makes the bike look great. I don't think the rack was stock...nor do I think it was even sold in the 1960's, but I could be wrong (about its sale date...positive it didn't come stock with the bike!). Parts are just parts...it is the frame that is really valuable, in my eyes at least! It is nice to have a stock bike though, and great if you can replace the parts with the original stuff.

I can't wait to get more pictures. Cool thing about that bike is the chrome on the down tube. That is not a "foil" sticker, is it! Great detailing throughout.

As far as refinishing goes, just think of how much "better" Simpson's bike would have been if it had been left "as is." Even if it was rusty, we would have been able to see original decals and paint. As it is, it is a nice refinish, but it would have been nice to have seen the original.

Riding that bike would be great...and highly encouraged. Just be careful!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
I wouldn't feel at all guilty for replacing consumable parts that make that beautiful bike safe to ride. I believe that classics should be ridden and enjoyed unless you are running a museum.

As to the Pletscher rack, taking it off was the best thing you can do. They did make those racks back in the 60's and it could have been there since the bike was new. They were on pretty much every 3-speed bike back when I was a kid. They don't belong on a classic ride like yours. To my horror, one of those was installed on a chrome Schwinn Paramount that I bought last year. Happily it did no damage.

That Campy Gran Sport is still a beautiful piece of equipment, too.
1962(?) Gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane