gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » "New" Gitane Victoire
"New" Gitane Victoire 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
jakenok
Hello all, found this site & thought I'd say hello. I just was given a fairly nice Victoire (purple & yellow, pics to come) by some guys demolishing an old barn. Pretty dirty, but complete. The rear derailuer is missing the cogs and cage, so a new one is in the near future. Is it fairly easy to find a Sachs-Hurett for these old guys? It has black tape on the bars, from what I read here, they came with yellow tape. Cloth or plastic? Look forward to riding him around where I live, good cycling out here.

My first "real" ten speed bike was a Gitane, way back in the 70's at a shop in Lafayette, LA. Don't recall a lot about it except it was red, had black (plastic?) derailuers and a hard nylon unupholstered saddle. Ring any bells?
Gitane Victoire 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the group,

"Barn bikes" can be great finds. At the end of 2007 I came across 2 of them within a week: a 1967 PX-10 and a 1969 Gitane Tour de France.

They were both covered with 20+ years of dirt and grime. Lot's of elbow grease brought them back to life.

Sachs-Huret derailleurs are easy to find on eBay. The Victoire came with the ECO model which was the near the bottom quality wise.

I'd look for a Huret Challenger (same derailleur but a little nicer details). The cage can be adjusted for 24T or 28T capacity.

I like Fizyk bar tape. It has the feel of a wrapped leather steering wheel plus it comes in a bright yellow. Also available on eBay...

http://www.amazon.com/Fizik-BT01A10015-Bicycle-Bar-Tape/dp/B000N0SQKI

Your first bike was probably a Gitane Gran Sport.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Gitane Victoire 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
jakenok
verktyg wrote:
Welcome to the group,

"Barn bikes" can be great finds. At the end of 2007 I came across 2 of them within a week: a 1967 PX-10 and a 1969 Gitane Tour de France.

They were both covered with 20+ years of dirt and grime. Lot's of elbow grease brought them back to life.

Sachs-Huret derailleurs are easy to find on eBay. The Victoire came with the ECO model which was the near the bottom quality wise.

I'd look for a Huret Challenger (same derailleur but a little nicer details). The cage can be adjusted for 24T or 28T capacity.

I like Fizyk bar tape. It has the feel of a wrapped leather steering wheel plus it comes in a bright yellow. Also available on eBay...

http://www.amazon.com/Fizik-BT01A10015-Bicycle-Bar-Tape/dp/B000N0SQKI

Your first bike was probably a Gitane Gran Sport.

Thanks. I will look up the Challenger on ebay. I found the cage to the derailuer in the water bottle last night, neatly wrapped in a zip lock bag. Lots of cleaning to do. It has a Cannondale water bottle cage, since I am going to search on ebay, any particular brand water bottle cage come on these?

Gran Sport, I wish I could find my paperwork on the bike, but that was long ago...
"New" Gitane Victoire 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane