gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » The Retro Boys Plus One--- Now, also Rex's '72 Interclub
The Retro Boys Plus One--- Now, also Rex's '72 Interclub 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner

It has been a while since I've had a post---but I'm here every day--thanks again Stephan for your great site ---And all the members who contribute !!!

I hope to post further images of the '72 white Interclub, and '72 green Interclub in a later post. I had built up the '72 green Interclub for my oldest son Chuck last summer. It had been a gift presented by my youngest son Rex the previous X-mas --It had belonged to my sons' Chuck and Rex percussion instructor. Thought a bit small for me it fit my oldest. My youngest Rex really caught the bicycling "bug" in the spring of 2011. Usually riding my '86 Performance--and by June he had ordered a Trek Madonne (but we won't hold that against him). The white '72 Interclub is referenced in one of my earliest posts to this site as the "Bigger-Younger Brother" --- My profile photo is my original '71 Interclub and this '72 Interclub

I was uncomfortable having Rex take the Trek off to graduate school. Until he gets a little more settled in. I built up the white '72 this past summer so he would have a road bike besides his campus Mountain Bike.

The point of this photo ---Ross was home visitng from Florida 2 weeks ago and although Ross & I had several rides earlier in the week, I had planned to go for a ride with all of them on friday when Rex came home from KSU. However the weather wasn't really cooperating (actually with the hot dry summer the rainfall was a blessing). So anyhow, Rex with his '72 Interclub, Ross with his '72 'Bronco' TdeF, Chuck with his '72 Interclub, and me "the old faart" and my '70 TdeF.

Now, if I could just get my wife to consider riding a tandem Wink

I Like Steel !!!

Last edited by smilingroadrunner on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Awesome picture!

Rex' '72 Interclub 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
This '72 Interclub had originally been purchased by my high school friend who worked at Burgess Schwinn Cyclery back in the late '60s, early 70's ---As noted above it was related to my discovery of the GitaneUSA site in the late summer 2007. Doug had modified -updated the bike when he purchased it, as you will see in some of the before images. Basically the bike finish has very few paint divots and the decals were pristine--. With Chas. help & suggestions Wink the foil decals were imaged to forward to Greg S to facilitate the early '70's Foil set replicas.

This bike had hung from the rafter of his garage for about 18-20 years before I became its new owner 5 years ago. My son Rex caught the cycling "Bug" last year. I wanted to supply a road bike for Rex to utilize this fall. However; until he becomes more settled into graduate school and his new surroundings, his Trek Madonne will stay here. And ---as there were already several modifications to the bike; I built it up with some changes to handlebar, stem, brake & seatpost and seat. I have all the items to bring it back to original equipment---just trying to make it more comfortable and safe for him .

Original L side view

Original R side view

And Yes---I removed the cheap set of Weinmann sidepulls this weekend & replaced with the Campy set-up that I had been cleaning up ---Also my Performance pedals have been replaced with his Speedplay

Original Front view & Randoneur bars

Modified Cinelli stem to fit steerer tube & headset & Cinelli Bar

Original rear view

Kalloy 25.0 x 350 alloy seatpost & Selle Italia saddle

Original view Stronglight 38, X 52 (I'm going to get this inner 38T chain ring back for myself----But in the meantime it will be handy for the climbs in the "Flint Hills" of the Manhattan area.)

Suntour Compe --V front derailleur

Original view Suntour GT rear derailleur

a new Shimano 14-28T 5sp Freewheel for climbing "Bluemont Hill" Shocked

Original wheelset ---Doug had replaced with Suntour Sprint sealed bearing hubs, and Regida HLC -2000 Racing rims.

Additional items: Nashbar Duro--(actually Panaracer 700C X 23) road clinchers, Trek "Quick Cleat" seatpak, and Topeak Road Master Blaster frame pump.

Hopefully the addition of a decent set of brake calipers and pads will make the downhills a little more safe for his rides. I have to say that after riding the bike this day --I'm having 2nd thoughts. It is a sweet ride--and the addition of the better calipers just made it better. The neat thing is that all of my sons seem to have an appreciation for these 40+ year vintage frames. I'm pretty sure I won't be here in 39years--BUT I would like to see if Rex's Carbon Fiber frame will be roadworthy when it is 40 years old. With continued care and proper storage---I wouldn't be a bit suprised that this Interclub may still be roadworthy.

I Like Steel !!!
The Retro Boys Plus One--- Now, also Rex's '72 Interclub 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery