gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Hello Guys! Replacement derailleurs opinion welcome!
Hello Guys! Replacement derailleurs opinion welcome! 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Bernie_Man
Hi guys! New Gitane owner in the house!

Recently I purchased what it seems like a "Grand Sport Deluxe", with a nice big frame (59cm I think). I am coming from a beautiful 1970s Peugeot that got stolen a month ago, after 15 years of perfect performance (but a little small for my height). Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

My "new" Gitane has Huret derailleurs (front and rear) and Weinmann brakes. I bought the bike partially on the dark, only to realize the RD is apparently shot. I brought it to a bike shop and they told me it needs replacement, something to do with a bad spring. They recommend a Shimano replacement, for the 5 speed ring.

Well, I'd like to get some feedback from Gitane enthusiasts on what derailleur I should be looking to replace the original Huret with: any high-end recommendation? Campagnolo maybe? And also some opinions on a Shimano system?

Eventually I will also need to replace the Weinmann brakes (so far I dont like them, my old center pull Campy were so much better) but the priority is to get the bike back on the road, so I need to make a decision regarding the derailleurs. Actually maybe the brakes are not so bad, but the chrome plated steel rims are the culprit. Need more testing time to figure this out.

Thanks in advance and safe riding!

BB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Bernie_Man
Forgot to post pictures of my new babe:

And here are the online photos for some components:

Re: Hello Guys! Replacement derailleurs opinion welcome! 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Bernie_Man wrote:
Recently I purchased what it seems like a "Grand Sport Deluxe", with a nice big frame (59cm I think).

Welcome to town...

Gitane and most other bikes were measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube - Center to Top vs. Center to Center.

It's a 60cm size frame.

Bernie_Man wrote:
My "new" Gitane has Huret derailleurs (front and rear)

I don't know that the spring is bad... The person at the shop may have never seen one of these Huret Allvit derailleurs in real life before.

Point being, when you say French bike and the shop guy's eyes glaze over and roll back, slowly retrace your steps out the front door and Run Away, Run Away!!! Twisted Evil

That said, the French thought highly of the Huret Allvit derailleurs... They made a nice clunk when chucked into the garbage can!

I'd suggest that you try to get a Huret Challenger rear derailleur on eBay. They work great and you can get them for ~$20.00.

Forget about Campy stuff, silk stocking on a rooster!!! Twisted Evil

Shimano stuff is OK too but a lot more money and work to make the switch over for a small return on investment.

Your money is better spent on something far more important like alloy rims to replace the chrome plated steel ones currently on your bike.

Weinmann center pull brakes should work fine with new brake block, cables and ALLOY rims.

The frame and wheels are the 2 most important parts on a bike. Saddle and brakes are next.

Make the IMPORTANT changes and ride the bike.

Good luck...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Hello Guys! Replacement derailleurs opinion welcome! 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
Bernie_Man
verktyg wrote:

Welcome to town...

Thank you Chas!

verktyg wrote:

I'd suggest that you try to get a Huret Challenger rear derailleur on eBay. They work great and you can get them for ~$20.00.

Thanks for the feedback, I have found three sets for sale, one allegedly a new unused old stock.

It sounds like the challenger would be a direct replacement, correct? How about the chain, anything I should check in order to make it work? Maybe length and stretch?

verktyg wrote:

Your money is better spent on something far more important like alloy rims to replace the chrome plated steel ones currently on your bike.

Any specific alloy rim or any 27" on ebay would do the job?

Thanks again for the feedback, it has helped a lot!
Hello Guys! Replacement derailleurs opinion welcome! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane