gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » Open Letter to the Marketing "Geniuses" at Cycleur
Open Letter to the Marketing "Geniuses" at Cycleur 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing on behalf of Gitane owners and fans from around the world. My website, www.GitaneUSA.com, is a fan site dedicated to the Gitane brand. We are owners, collectors and racing enthusiasts who love Gitane's history and are concerned about its future. Members in our Forum and Facebook page are from all around the world and just about on every continent.

After looking at the 2013 "Definitive" offerings, it is distressing that the name "Gitane" has been entirely removed. As you are aware, Gitane enjoys one of the greatest racing cycle palmares in the sport. To think that Cycleurope would not offer a quality Gitane racing bicycle seems bizarre, especially when market research shows that when people think about bicycles, one of the top brands in France they think of is "Gitane". Definitive doesn't even register on the survey. Why spend money to raise brand identification when Cycleurope already has that brand: Gitane? Why not just improve the product instead of launching an entirely new brand of bicycles? This is expensive and counterproductive.

In one stroke, Cycleurope has alienated an entire set of customers who are brand loyal, and substituted it with an unknown and, quite frankly, cumbersome name in "Definitive."

I am a proud Gitane owner: I own many of the vintage bicycles and still race on the new "The One" bicycles. I was disappointed that the name "Definitive" was highlighted on the frame instead of Gitane. However, there is absolutely no chance of me purchasing a bicycle wherein the entire Gitane name has been removed. I am not alone in that sentiment, and feel that your sales will suffer as a result.

It is time Cycleurope embrace the fine Gitane tradition and makes the most of the valuable asset which they own: The Gitane name. Anquetil, Hinault, Fignon, Lemond...the list is long and should be used to sell these bicycles. Sadly, Cycleurope is going the opposite direction, and will likely see the Gitane name become nothing in the future.

I have offered everything I have to Gitane to assist in its marketing, including providing Gitane with all of the information in my collection and the offer to proof-read all of its English language content (I am a lawyer in California, USA). I continue to be willing to offer any and all help I can give the brand.

I urge the marketing department at Cycleurope to reassess and reevaluate the direction they are currently taking my favorite bicycle brand in.

Stephan H. Andranian, Esq.
www.GitaneUSA.com

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Did they ever answer back?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
I'm curious also. Great letter & inquiry Stephan. My son was home visiting from Florida, during this time last fall and I missed this original post.

I Like Steel !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
Sumer
Racing road bikes don't seem to be their primary target, I'm afraid...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Never a response...and the brand continues to wallow in the doldrums. Sad

Open Letter to the Marketing "Geniuses" at Cycleur 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane