gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Good News on Reproduction Decals
Good News on Reproduction Decals 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
fredbeavers
I talked with Greg, the fellow in Australia who makes the reproduction decals, and he was able to make up a new set of 83/84 Gitane decals that are a good color match to the originals. These have what he calls a "lemon yellow" color surrounding each letter, rather than the darker, more orangish yellow color on the first set he made. I'll post some pictures once I get them installed on my 84 team bike.

Fred

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
lofter
sweet, keep us informed, with pics Wink
gts decals 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Here are some examples of the repro decals. These are the first version with the darker yellow. I haven't seen the newer version yet. They go on pretty clean, and are printed onto a clear film. It has about a 1mm clear edge around the outside. No, they're not exact. But I would hesitate to suggest that anything that gitane ever made was exact, so unless you're doing a full restoration with NOS crappy french parts.......
These are great to do a 'fake' gitane like this. So get stuck into it Nicolas, my old TT bike came up pretty good. I'll be ordering a set of the new ones for my old Victoire that has been painted the same blue.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
nicolas
Yeah....I received the decals and they look just fine to start from scratch.

Replacement for existing decals is another matter. I'll leave it up to you, boys.

Right now, believe it or not, I have some trouble finding someone to get the paint job done...it seems that in the carbon years, it has become highly unusual to paint a bike.

No pain, no glory !

www.greglemondfan.com
Re: gts decals 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Paul Wiseman wrote:
Here are some examples of the repro decals. These are the first version with the darker yellow. I haven't seen the newer version yet. They go on pretty clean, and are printed onto a clear film. It has about a 1mm clear edge around the outside. No, they're not exact. But I would hesitate to suggest that anything that gitane ever made was exact, so unless you're doing a full restoration with NOS crappy french parts.......

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have a set of these decals for my 1984 Super Corsa that I'm in the process of building up.

My frame has some cheesy Gitane decals on clear plastic backing that wraps around the frame tubes. The logos are pale yellow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150078686129

I have Simplex Super LJ derailleurs and Simplex ratchet shift levers, a Campy Mirage crankset, Campy hubs and wheels, Campy seatpost, Suntour/DiaCompe brakes and so on.

There were a lot of chips and scratches in the frame when I got it. I was able to mix up matching touchup paint using 2 colors of Testors model enamel.

It should look pretty much like the 1984 Super Corsa pictured in the gallery.

Chas.
Good News on Reproduction Decals 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane