gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Interclub restomod complete!
Interclub restomod complete! 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
carlmorrell
I would like to thank everyone that offered up expertise to help me tackle this restoration. About half of the parts are original to the bike and me. Replaced rims, spokes, tires, derailleurs, chain, one pedal, one brake lever, bottom bracket, axle, one chainring, handlebar stem, toe clips and straps, all bearings and cables. Paint is Lesonal, with U-Tech (two part) clearcoat. I would not have been able to do this without the decals from Australia and Ebay!

I would like to think it is prettier now, than the day I bought it back in 1970. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Christophe
Hi ! You did a nice job. Restoring a bike you've owned for a long time gives a lot of satisfaction. Was the fork fully chromed or did you have done ? I think I have the same crankset but mine has rivets when yours has bolts. On the 70's catalogue picture, it also seems to have rivets. Didi you replace them ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
carlmorrell
Christophe,

I remember removing the paint from the front fork, the first time I re-painted back in the early 70s. Was surprised to find shiny chrome underneath. That is the original fork and chrome.

The crank-arm has threaded holes. The inner chainring is bolted to the crank arm. The bolts stick through the crank arm, and the large chain ring is held with nuts on the ends of the bolts. This is the original configuration. The outer side of the crank arm has a shoulder that the bolt holes on the chainring center over. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
Beautiful work, I love it!
Interclub restomod complete! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane