gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Repair on a Gitane from 1974
Repair on a Gitane from 1974 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
mygunsti
I been having a gitane road bike sense 1974 bought it new, would like to fix it up. would like to updated everything and a new paint job. Would like some feedback, will it damage the valve of the bike.

Thanks David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
lofter
welcome to the forums first off,will it hurt the value?depends if you are going to keep it . some people see it as it should be kept close to original as possible, others might not care. i like to keep mine original as possible. my 83 really needs a paint job and decals . since i dont foresee me selling it anytime soon , so ill probably repaint it. the paint has come off the underside of the bb. and the number peg needs paint. someone also painted yellow on the tubes and lugs to emulate a tour winner or something. i absolutely hate it. my other bikes have nicks and scatches so i just touched them up cause no sense in messing up a descent paint job. i guess it boils down to what u want to do .do your upgrades if that is going to make u happy and then ride it .no one here is going to think anything other wise. u might get some pointers on different setups depending on what u want to put on it . i hope this helped out.......don

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Ditto what lofter said. Regarding updating the parts, you should be careful to research what will and won't fit, regarding the threading (your's will, most probably, be French threaded) and with regards to the spacing for the wheels, reach for the brakes, etc. The problem with the old bikes is, unless you are into them for hobby, you may spend more in refurbishing and painting that buying a new bike. It was like one guy told me...you will "end up spending $1000 on a bike that is worth $500." But then, that all depends on what you mean by "updating everything"....

Thanks for joining the list, by the way! Glad you are here.

Repair on a Gitane from 1974 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane