gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane USA History
Gitane USA History 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
In speaking with some Gitane owners, I have noticed that there is a wealth of information about the history of Gitane in the USA. However, gathering it all and putting together a coherent history has not been done.

I want to add a page to our website which will be all about Gitane in the USA, from its start to its end in the late 1980's. To do it, I am going to have to rely on you folks...and the public... to post information that can be used to put together the history.

Any insight from former dealers or employees of Gitane USA would be greatly appreciated! Stay tuned for this...we should have something together within the next few weeks or so!

PROGRESS UPDATE! 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I just spoke with Mel Pinto, who originally brought Gitane to the USA. He has offered to help draft the history of Gitane in the USA, and might have some odds and ends left over from his time as the Gitane distributor.

Regarding the Delta, he stated that he had one here for wind tunnel testing, but had to return it to France. They were never made available to the public: Only a few were manufactured. Very rare indeed!

Also, some of the people on this site and others have offered to help draft the history page, which will hopefully turn out really well. Look for it in a few months, as the site is going to be "re-launched".

Regarding Gitane team jerseys, I have obtained permission to use the artwork on www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net for the site, which should look great!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
lofter
very nice sandman, i have those 90's catalogs i got to scan for you. hopefully mr pinto will have some catalogs laying around.crosses fingers , think 80's think 80's catalogs. r u going to be including the mountain bikes that r in the french catalogs also to the site?why not they r in there already . talked to lemond yet?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I really don't like mountain bikes, so in order to reduce the size of the site and the work involved, I usually leave them out. My own personal prejudice! Regarding Lemond...no, I haven't. I have not had the time, which is annoying, but anyways...hopefully I will get to that soon!

That ebay frameset seems to have hit a plateau...hopefully it won't go much higher....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
J Carter
Not that it adds anything important to your history, but I bought my first Gitane, and first 10 speed, from Mel Pinto's Falls Church, Va store (I think that's the town) back around 1972. IIRC I paid $175 (I don't remember if that figure includes tax, probably did) for it. I really wanted the TdF at the time. The TdF ran $225 and I just didn't have the funds. They had a Gran Tourismo in stock, seems like they had it on sale that day @ $275. Or possibly that was the Super Corsa - both were out of my lawnmowing earnings price range so I'm rather fuzzy on that detail. I also recall seeing some model, maybe the TdF, with Huret Jubilee derailleurs. It wasn't mine as I had the delrin Simplex; which was replaced by a Suntour after it self-destructed. Smile
Gitane USA History 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane