gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Looking to buy my first TDF
Looking to buy my first TDF 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Walkingheadpro
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first Tour De France bike. If you know anyone or anywhere that is selling one, please let me know. I've been scouring ebay and my local craiglist for the past week now with no luck.

I'm looking for something around 60cm.

Thanks!

Orrr if you know anyone or anywhere that might have a grand sport deluxe fork and headset

I'm located in the Bay Area
TdF 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I sold a 1973-4 60cm TdF about a year ago.

I have a 1984 55cm that I willing to part with but it's too small for you...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Walkingheadpro
Darn, well I've been watching this ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitane-Tour-de-France-Super-Corsa-Campagnolo-23-frame-early-70s-/111556128588?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item19f9436f4c

I'm just afraid it might be too small for me? I'm 6'2''

Also feel like the price is inflated.. it would come out to around 700 in total costs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Walkingheadpro wrote:
I'm just afraid it might be too small for me? I'm 6'2''

Also feel like the price is inflated.. it would come out to around 700 in total costs.

Some people on eBay and Craigslist came up with the formula, "fits someone 3'8" to 7'7"..."

The important measurement as far a frame size goes is the "STAND OVER HEIGHT" - how high the top tube is from the ground!

This bike is a 60cm frame - Gitane and many other European bike makers measured frames from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube.

The standover height is probably about 33" to 33.5" high.

So, what's your inseam length?

You need to have at least about 1 1/2" to 2" safety margin in case you have to dismount in an emergency stop!
Shocked

50 years ago I was 5'11" with a 29" inseam. My first Gitane, a 1972 Gran Sport had a 60cm frame. After about 7-8 months I realized that the frame was too big for me.

Today I'm 5'9" (gravity sucks) with about a 28" inseam. I ride 54cm to 57cm frames - standover height = 31.5" to 32.25".

Now to the bike... It's about a 1972 or 73 Gitane Tour de France NOT a Super Corsa. It looks to be in reasonable condition.

The Campy cranks, derailleurs, seatpost plus maybe the pedals too, increase the value by as much as ~$150 over the original Stronglight 93 cranks and Simplex Criterium derailleurs.

Not all Campy components were scared holy!

The shift levers and rear derailleur are Campy Nuovo Gran Sport models which were near the bottom of the line - plus they're UGLY tool!

Who ever mounted the rear derailleur used a "claw" style hanger.

If you ever have to remove the rear wheel in the wind and rain, there's a good chance that the derailleur can fall out of the frame and twist the greasy chain around the freewheel.... Confused

The old Simplex dropouts can be modified to work with Campy derailleurs in about 20 minutes time.

The worst case scenario is someone destroyed the value of the frame by sawing off the derailleur hanger... Evil or Very Mad

The idiots who did these things should be given an education... Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Next, many Ideale 80 saddles like on this bikes are hard as a board and never break in.

The brake levers are Weinmann not MAFAC and look pretty beat up.

This stem was used on entry level Peugeot U08 mixties....

It's hard to tell what the hubs are but they don't look very high quality.

Also, 27" wheels became obsolete on new bikes in the US market in the early 80s. Choice of better quality 27" tires are limited vs. size 700c tires.

So add the increased value of the Campy upgrades minus the lower quality components and come to your own conclusion.

There are nice Gitane Tour de France bikes that come up on eBay in the sub $600 price range quite regularly.

Hope this helps.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional