gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » Late sixties Reno project
Late sixties Reno project 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
markbeaver
Here's my recent renovation of a late sixties Gitane, on behalf of its owner who bought it second hand in Seattle in'72.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markbeaver/sets/72157624687907643/with/4929725724/

Most of the Campy components were on the bike when it came in; I added a rebuilt set of NR wheels (looking for another set as the CD rims aren't really correct looking) and added steel cage NR pedals and old Record FD. The Brooks Pro is original and in great shape. The drillium parts were done back in the seventies by hand, and looks great still. A real period piece, brought back to life.

I only wish I had taken some pics before the repaint, it looked like hell. It had been stripped and rattle-canned back in the seventies and was really beat and rusty and flaking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Wow! Fantastic looking Gitane with some nice touches. Have you been able to ride it much?

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
1968-70 Super Corsa 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the forum.

You have a 1968 to 1970 Gitane Super Corsa that's been repainted and has 1974-1976 decals.

The 2 features that I used to date the frame are the willow leaf shaped brazed on seat stay caps and the Nervex Professional fork crown. The crown was originally chrome plated.

The rear derailleur says "PATENT 74" which means that it was made in 1974. There may be a number inside a diamond stamped into the back side of the crank arms (if it hasn't been drilliumed away).

<3> would be a crank made in 1973. Before 1973 Campy didn't date code their crank arms. The one pictured below was made in 1978.

Your front dérailleur has a circlip holding the pivot arm in place indicating that it's a 1973 or older model.

The headset is likely original, it has a <C> stamped in the bottom cup. The brake calipers look early 70s but the levers are post 1974...

So what does this all mean? Many Campagnolo equipped production model bikes were parted out or cannibalized for their components back in the 70s. Somewhere along the line someone restored the Campy components. They are not all original as the bike came from the factory.

My 1972 Super Corsa was parted out then the campy components restored in the same way.

All in all, you have a very nice bike.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional