gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery » My Gitane...
My Gitane... 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
tristan75
Hi all!

I´m writing from the sunny Majorca - Spain!

I found this beautiful Gitane near a Waste Container!!! Shocked Shocked as soon as I saw it, I new I would do something beautiful with her Embarassed

Anyway... if any one can let me know which model and year, it is... I would really appreciated Smile (I think it´s from the 75-80).

Here are some photos... Ohhh... I´m still in the process of rebuilding the Gitane into a vintage/modern fixie (so far, I´ve removed all the painting, repainted it (with car metallic Dark blue/green painting) and bought some new parts).

New parts:

Gold fixed gear track crank crankset 165mm, pedals, Brooks Toe clips & Brooks Twin straps:

25.0mm seat post (hard to find) & Brooks Flyer S Brown saddle (had it all ready, will change it later on for a Brooks Swallow or Swift):

Gold flip-flop Deep V wheels:

Handlebar, brake levers (new), Brooks Bar tape brown and Gold Stem:

Trying to fix the headset which is in a very bad conditions... will upload a full picture as soon as possible, once the Gitane is ready!

Do you know where can I get new Gitane decals... I´ve been searching on eBay... but hard to find, they are a couple but quite expensive (I´ve sent an email to Gitane to see if they can let me know if they have a headset in stock and decals).

So long! Jean.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
Interesting project, I can't wait to see it done.

For decals I can reccomend Cyclomondo on E-bay, he does great work.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cyclomondo
Re: My Gitane... 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
verktyg
tristan75 wrote:
Trying to fix the headset which is in a very bad conditions... will upload a full picture as soon as possible, once the Gitane is ready!
Do you know where can I get new Gitane decals... I´ve been searching on eBay... but hard to find, they are a couple but quite expensive (I've sent an email to Gitane to see if they can let me know if they have a headset in stock and decals). So long! Jean.

Greetings,

I've never seen replacement Gitane "chevron" decals like were on your bike. Sending inquiries about older model Gitanes is generally a waste of time as they kept no records.

In case you haven't gotten around to it yet, the bottom bracket most likely has metric threads, same thing with the headset. If the headset is metric then the stem needs to be 22.0mm (21.9mm) not the current 22.2mm standard.

This headset will probably work on your bike. The only problem may be with the crown race. They were 27mm on most French bikes but the newer standard is 24.6mm inside diameter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320636177452

I sent the seller a message asking the crown race size.

If your's is 27mm and you can't find the proper size headset crown race, it can be cut down with the PROPER headset facing tool.

While you have it apart it's probably a good idea to the top and bottom of the head tube refaced too.

There is another solution. The fork crown race and lower headset cup are usually the parts that wear out.

You can get an inexpensive Tange Passage or similar cheap Tange headset and just use the bottom parts. They will work fine and look classic. Keep the metric threaded top parts as they are the only "metric" headset parts.

http://tinyurl.com/2urgrbu

Avoid the Tange Levin and CDS models as the stack height may be too high. Your bike takes an 11mm or smaller bottom stack height.

There's measuring instructions in this link:

http://tinyurl.com/39bqkvb

Good luck.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote
tristan75
Hi! sorry for the delay in posting... was on a trip and had no time to update the post Embarassed

FORDSVTPARTS - thanks for the ebay link, I´m in between 2 models Smile

like this one too... but won´t look good Confused

verktyg - Thanks for all the info... I end it up finding a Stronglight headset but had to use the original top part from the old Gitane headset.

Final pictures:

My Gitane... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Owner Gallery