gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » 2011 Gitane Range Goto page 1, 2  Next
2011 Gitane Range 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Kudos to anyone who posts the first pictures of Gitane's 2011 line. They are currently on display at Eurobike...and I have requested some photos, but haven't gotten any yet.

New Bikes 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
verktyg

Retro-grouch forever... Evil or Very Mad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Whoa, nice one Chas!

Check out the front disc on that baby!!!! That must be the new disc wheel from Mavic, I'm thinking because of the colours. Clearly this is the new Gitane TT model and nice to see that they're gone back to the lumbar support saddle design. I haven't seen one of those on a gitane since Theirry Marie won the prologue in the 86 Tour. Following on from the other thread about straight forks, I see this on has them, but they look to be an aero design. I can't see any brake calipers anywhere so I am assuming that they have been built into the fork and the rear of the frame somewhere which would follow current trends with TT bikes. I'm not sure about the bars though. They appear to be the Delta style bar, but they have been mounted upside down. I hope they get that fixed up before Eurobike opens to the public. Looks like a monocoque constructed frame. I'm not sure what brand pedals those are but I wonder if they are a new "wide platform" design by Speedplay. They seem to be the only brand that likes those lollipop colours. I guess we are going to see a change of sponsors for the Saur team this year. This is clearly a team bike, so green and blue is out and the new team will be red/yellow/blue. Perhaps Saur has picked up Systeme U as a co-sponsor?

Nice spot Chas. Did you get a photo of the road version? Laughing

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
According to Cycling News, in regards to "special request photos", etc., (in our case, photos and possible information on the 2011 Definitive Gitanes), Mr. James Huang at Twitter @angryasian might be able to provide such information.
Peter H.
Gitane Replica 11
Gitane FDJ Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
I already sent him a twitter, but no response thus far. Please feel free to back up that request.

Aside: In order to send said twitter I had to open a twitter account and join the 21st Century. I couldn't believe that nobody had already claimed @gitanedelta - so that's me! Cool

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
mikkla
You can find the "new" bikes for Saur-Sojasun, but that not what you mean right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The Saur-Sojasun team bikes are the 2010 Definitive "The One" ISP...

I should have the 2011 stuff on within the next 48 hours. I have a source!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
2011 Definitive TT model Twisted Evil

...... but seriously, you can see the Definitive (Gitane) banner in the background. Do I win Sandmen? do I? do I?
Rolling Eyes

Delta Dreamin'
Here they are 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Courtesy of a friend of mine who works for another bicycle manufacturer...and therefore was at the bike show. He apologized for the blurry pics...but I appreciate him taking any at all! He also grabbed a catalogue for me, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Of course, this is the same frameset as the 2010 Definitive model, with updated graphics. I have to say that I am still up in the air about the finish, and am glad I bought when I did (although the team model would have been nice to have).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Is the "Gitane" on the DT bigger?

I'm still not fussed on the paint. The red is a bit too red, and the plain black is a boring as every other black bike on the market.

How about a nice subtle shade of "Bumble Bee"? Rolling Eyes

Or at lease a plain blue so we can dress it up with yellow saddles and bar tape. Twisted Evil

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The font seems to be "bold(er)". Otherwise, the decal placement is almost identical (minor changes).

The thing that mystifies me is the decal on the seatmast. So they have solved the "cutting-the-'Definitive'-logo-when-you-trim-the-seatmast" problem" by...cutting the Definitive logo??? does that make any sense???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Yes, why not put a small decal in the horizontal plane at the base of the post and just have some vertical lines for decoration that go all the way up? Then is makes no difference where you cut it. I know that's bordering on rocket science, but......... Twisted Evil

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks for the shots Stephan.

The thing that amazes me is that carbon is such a plyable material before it's set that virtually any design or form can be achieved yet nearly every bicycle company makes machines that look almost identical. It's not as though manufacturers are restricted to a set of round tubes, they can call the shots by making their own moulds and designs.

Many bicycles are made in Asia and for a manufacturer to use a bespoke design it would cost considerably more than the cost per unit they've budgeted so this could be one reason that similarities prevail - i.e. using the manufacturer's mould. The fat headtube, the fat bottom bracket, the fat down tube are key characteristics of today's carbon bikes and with the improvement of carbon layering and fiber understanding this direction seems to go against earlier more slender bikes made of similar materials when technology was not as advanced.

I guess they reduced the size of the logo due to customer comments when sizing the bike. It would look better to do away with the seat post logo altogether.

Stephan, I agree with you about the team bike. It looks great in white. For me, that's the best looking.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Stephan,
Thanks much for the pictures. Personally, I, basically, have no major problem with the new color schemes. It might take a while to get used to them. I hope that one of them (perhaps the black/white one) will be the 2011 Saur team color scheme. Then you would have, virtually, the Team Replica.
Peter H.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The team did use some of the black & white bikes (like mine) this year, because there didn't appear to be enough bikes available in the team colors.

Regarding the bike design, the "fat" tubing is done for ride quality. The tubing shape of the frameset adds to the rigidity...it is all done for a purpose (and a little gimmick). For example, the head tube on these new bikes are designed for front end rigidity. My new Gitane corners like no other bike I have ever owned. Really solid, and this is due to the front end.

Regarding the molds: The costs for production of carbon molds is VERY expensive. Almost all (99.99%) of carbon bikes are made in China (not Taiwan). The labor and materials costs are relatively cheap. So once the mold is paid off with high-priced bicycles, the cost to produce them goes down and you see the same design available in lower end models (i.e. the Specialized Roubaix).

The Gitane Definitive "The One" is a pretty unique bike. No other bike has all of these features at this price...and it gets plenty of attention wherever it goes. Really a show-stopper, and an advanced design.

2011 Gitane Range 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane