gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » Shimano v. Campy
Shimano v. Campy 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Some time ago we had a chat about the pros and cons of the new shimano stuff. Since then, I have done a fair bit of work with the Dura Ace 7900, Di2, and the new Ultegra 6700.

Despite my reservations at first, I'm happy to say that this stuff is very good. I have since purchased a set of Ultegra 6700. While the DA 7900 is really good and very light, the price remains absurd (at least it is here in Australia). For the money, the Ultegra is fantastic. The only 'issue' with the group is the chanel in the top of the STI lever body that needs to be lubed frequently to keep the gear cables running freely. The best solution thus far has been to use Slick Honey grease rather than a liquid lube. Works a treat. If you can afford Di2, then it is just the bees knees. It will take some time for the prices to come down, but get used to it. (They said that those crazy areo bars would never take off........) Electronic shifting is the future.

Campy: New 11 speed groups. The shifters for the Super Record, Record and Chorus are OK but not brilliant. Anything below that is pretty crumby. The new Veloce 10 speed shifter is so light on the up shift that I now refer to is as 'friction shifting'. The 'clicks' are so soft that they are almost not there. The down shift is better. Brakes are average.

Shimano has the game stitched up for the moment as far as I am concerned.

I hope Sandman is planning to put Di2 on his new Gitane 'The One'. Very Happy

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Wisey,
Thanks for this interesting information. I added a Dura-Ace (7700-9sp.) gruppo (after a long internal debate) over C-Record on an Altec 2 (FDJ) a few years back. The performance of same has been near perfect.

I love steel velos, but I also realize that the bicycle industry, like industry in general, is technology driven and time never stands still. If I can ever scrape together the capital, I would also be down for a "The One", albeit the non-ISP version. While gasping for oxygen, I, previously, would have opted for Super-Record. Now, DA-7900 might ((unlike Down Under, DA (excepting Di2) is a bit less dear than Super Record in the States, although cost is not the only factor to be considered)) well be in my sights in the near future.
One Pint of Fosters, Please. Thank You!
Peter H.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I won't be putting electronic shifting on my bikes any time soon. Not because I don't want to, mind you, but because justifying the outrageous cost is impossible. I would be afraid to ride the bike.

I will be taking my old Dura Ace 10sp stuff and putting it on my new frame, if it ever comes.

I will say that in preparation for my new ride, I have been on the fascist diet, and lost almost 25lbs in 5 weeks. I still have another 10 to go to get to my goal weight, but I am the lightest I have been since graduating high school (178lbs/80.9k). Crazy, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Sandman; That seems to be a great idea, and a major money saver, as well. My impression is that DA-10 is fine gruppo. Well, you ride it, so who would know better? It should be, essentially, the same as those on the Saur Sojasun Team velos. Good luck with your "The One-ISP". Hoping that it comes in o.k; and soon!
Bienvenue,
Peter H.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Just sell the house. Shocked Di2 and a set of Lightweight wheels, then you'll have the Saur team bike in all its glory. Cool

Rolling Eyes

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Blue Moon
Video review of the bike (in French):

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane