gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Gitane Racing » 2010 Gitane Saur-Sojasun Team Presentation
2010 Gitane Saur-Sojasun Team Presentation 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Saur-Sojasun presented in Paris

Second Edition Cycling News, Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Pro Conti team hoping for Tour invite

The French Saur-Sojasun team presented its 2010 line-up in Paris on Tuesday, choosing the Eiffel Tower as the site for its first step into the sport's second tier.

Manager Stephane Heulot voiced the all-French team's goal: to become players in the big races, and the man to lead that charge is Jimmy Casper.

For stage races, he will look to Jonathan Hivert, Jerome Coppel and Sebastien Joly (three new recruits), while sprinter Jimmy Casper will lead the team for stage wins and in one-day races. Casper was the winner of the Coupe de France series and was the third-ranked rider in the UCI's European Tour last year, having won 10 races over the course of the season.

With a sprint train bolstered by Cyril Lemoine, Stéphane Poulhiès and Rony Martias who will add reinforcements for Casper's main lead-out man, Jimmy Engoulvent, Heulot thinks that Casper, who at 31 has had 11 seasons in the sport's top tier, can take on the biggest sprinters in the ProTour.

Heulot aspires to gain selection in the Tour de France now that the team has been granted a Professional Continental license, up from the third tier last year. In order to competed against former ProTour teams Bbox Bouygues Telecom and Cofidis, Heulot knows the team must make its mark in the early season to gain the attention of the Tour organisers.

The team will take on the Tour of Qatar and the Tour of Oman in February to dial in the train.

2010 Saur-Sojasun team

Cyril Bessy
Jimmy Casper
Jérôme Coppel
Cédric Coutouly
Anthony Delaplace
Jimmy Engoulvent
Jérémie Galland
Jonathan Hivert
Fabrice Jeandesboz
Sébastien Joly
Cyril Lemoine
Guillaume Levarlet
Laurent Mangel
Jean-Marc Marino
Rony Martias
Romain Mathéou
Stéphane Poulhiès
Julien Simon
Yannick Talabardon

General Manager: Stéphane Heulot

Directeurs sportifs: Nicolas Guillé, Lylian Lebreton.

Here is a link to the stories about the presentation:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/saur-sojasun-presented-in-paris
http://www.sportbreizh.com/Actualites-330-2558-0-1.html?

And here is the new 2010 Gitane "The One" ISP in Team colors!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
A photographer who was at the presentation sent me these shots, which are much larger than the previous. You can get some real detail in them of the bicycles, which is nice! He said he will be attending various pro races and try to get some better shots of the Gitane and team for us.

Here is a link to the photographer's website (his name is Vincent):
http://www.photoscycling.com/blogvinch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Hey, I love the nice 'retro' link with the Stronglight cranks on the TT bike.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I thought that was bizarre. Why the Stronglight cranks only on the TT bike???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Stephan, I like the touch of the unofficial fan club. Great idea. Thanks for the shots of the bikes.

Wisey, I agree about Stronglight, that's a super touch by the team. Perhaps we'll see them on the road bike too.

I'm interested to see the use of the classic strada bars on Jérôme Coppel's machine and the shallower version on Jimmy Casper's. Continuing with the bars, Lance Armstrong, I think, has always used the strada shape for the whole of his career. So taking these observations further, one of the particular design features of the ergo bars was to allow for the smooth movement of the hands across the top of the bars to the brake hoods of shifter brake levers. Both of which became available during the early 1990s. Looking back, that was quite a change. On pre ergo bars (e.g. strada) there was always a drop off the top of the bars to the brake lever hoods. Ergo bars overcame this issue and the previous need to increase the height of the brake levers on the bar, plus the tilting of the drops to allow easier access to the hoods. Additionally, shifter brake levers have an angled mounting, or clip, that allows for the lever's hood alignment to the top of the bars where previously the clips were at 90 degrees to the lever which mean't they would face ever more skywards the higher they were mounted towards the top of the drop, therefore requiring a balance of position when needing to ride out of the saddle, generally uphill. As a result of all this, shifter brake levers today are generally higher on the bike than they used to be as well as having had a huge amount of design time to improve rider comfort, position and braking leverage.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
I'm with "the boy from Brisbane" (Wisey) on this one. I think that the Stronglight crankset on the TT bike is fabulous! Make mine SR, except for said Stronglight crankset.
Peter H.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
I'd like to think that the Stronglight crank was done for historical link. However, I would be asking who owns Stronglight these days. My bet is that it is either Cycleurope or 3ttt (or their parent company).

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I don't think Gitane is doing anything for "historical links" (the citylink bike excepted). I don't think they have much of an appreciation or institutional knowledge about the history of their bikes.

I am being cynical.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
sandranian wrote:
I thought that was bizarre. Why the Stronglight cranks only on the TT bike???

Stronglight is not "retro" as they have been making pretty fantastic cranksets over the past 10 years or so (athough they did have some breakage issues with some of the carbon cranks early on and I might have seen a recal on one of the new ones recently). Their CT-2 chainrings are great and are re-badged as Easton on the EC-90 crankset which is $600+. I have the CT-2 chainrings mounted on the FC-7800 Shimano Dura-Ace crank arms on my Cervelo.

Stronglight gets very little attention in the USA as their cranks do not come standard on any production bike that I am aware of.

The 2 bike shops I support, one a small, custom, 20+ year old, one man shop with no brand affiliation swears by them. The other shop is a "boutique" that sells $10,000+ bikes and wrenchs for many professional riders also sells them.

I guess you can tell I like Stronglight! My Grand Sport has a 49D and my soon to be unvailed @1975 beauty will have 93's with 105bis rings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Stronglight is only "retro" in that it (used to be?) a French parts manufacturer...and isn't Shimano. The name is the "retro" part, not the modern parts. I would imagine that all of their stuff is made in Taiwan/China nowadays, but I don't really know. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Impressive bikes. I had no idea stronglight cranks were still in production. They have a website with a variety of products and some sponsorships, including these guys who won a tandem mountainbike competition who are 15 km from them, which means Stronglight has some physical presence in France. Nothing I can find about history, ownership, or where things are made.

Great to see a team riding Gitanes again, and also from the other thread that the factory is doing well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
edorwart
sandranian wrote:
Stronglight is only "retro" in that it (used to be?) a French parts manufacturer...and isn't Shimano. The name is the "retro" part, not the modern parts. I would imagine that all of their stuff is made in Taiwan/China nowadays, but I don't really know. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

I actully just bought a brand new set of Stronglight Chairing bolts and it says "Made in France" on the package!
2010 Gitane Saur-Sojasun Team Presentation 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Gitane Racing